Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2006, 03:04 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default old article from the past.... do you remember him??

do you remember him???
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2006, 03:49 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Speaking of which - does anyone ever talk to Brian Nixon anymore?

Ed
Old 11-15-2006, 03:51 PM
OldSchool

Cool I remember...

Lolo,

Though I've never met him in person. I do remember the G-Man. Thanks for sharing the article my friend.

- OldSchool
Old 11-15-2006, 03:55 PM
OldSchool

Smile Welcome back to old friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooMorgans View Post
Speaking of which - does anyone ever talk to Brian Nixon anymore?

Ed

Roo,

I started to wonder the same thing about Rob Vetor. Until I saw that he has joined this message board. I haven't seen Rob since '03. It'll be good to speak with him again.

- Don
Old 11-15-2006, 06:01 PM
MFCA MEMBER

As Lomax can attest, it is at B-Nix's house that my EF adventure began. I came out as a sportswriter to do a story on EF and it was at his house in Centreville. Lomax was there, Ed Scott, I think Will Travers might have been there, couple others. Nixon's basement was a freakin' mu-see-um. Anything related to EF or slot cars, and he had it.

That's also where the famous Browns were born. It was the first team I picked up from Ed Scott, along with a tray of random bases from which came the Jim Brown base.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:48 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Ed,

I remember this time well at B-Nixes... Last time I heard he was a writer for a financial publication or series of textbooks. You were absolutely correct - Brian had one of the most extensive collection of Tudor teams and boards. In the immortal words of Ty Ware (Ray F can appreciate this..) his teams and boards were all in "pristine" condition. Quintessential collector with the highest
sense of values and integrity. Anyone who knew him would attest to this.

Moreover, Brian was gracious with his time and knowledge. The depth of his Tudor knowledge and his network of friends (which included some of the greats) was without peer. He knew Roddy, Doc, Joe , and many others who were influential in that time period. He was way ahead of his time. I don't know what drew him away from our hobby. I am sure that whatever he is doing - he is doing it with class and grace. He gave me my first certifiable cuban cigar. He had acquired it while in Spain. I cherish that memory and time with him.

As an aside, Paul Daniels (one of the greatest EF passers I've seen), trader John Bullock, and the late David Fox were also in the house for your coming out party that night. Truly one of my best EF memories. Incidentally, I'd like to negotiate the return of my Jim Brown base. You didn't throw him against the wall did you ?

Da Stack
Old 11-16-2006, 09:07 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Hey Lo

Kelvin,

I didn't know you knew G-Man and Ben ? Now I know why we deserve the "old head" moniker.

Question: What distinguished Garrett's EF painting artistry from any one else during this time of excitement in our hobby ? Meaning - how did you know
you had a true G-man team in your hand ?

G-Man's signature look was NFL jersey sleeves below the elbow. He leaned towards the early 60's and 70's teams. His color match was unmistakable. I
saw a guy plunk down 300 bucks (to G-Man) for an obvious repaint of a big man 67 Saints team. This was not uncommon during the collecting frenzy of that time. What was odd was what the buyer intended to do with the team. Let's just say that he had a penchant for playing with original bigs without bases or a board. Strange indeed - guy turned out to be straight up. I think he plays in the high voltage league.

G-man's high watermark came with his photo spread of teams in Sports Illustrated. It did more to jump start this hobby than anything else at the time. It legitimized our hobby and brought it out of the closet. There was a previous (text only) article in SI that was also seminal with respect to EF. If there are any historians out there. I'd love to see both here. G did all of this before the advent of decals and other things we take for granted today.

Good stuff Lo. You are one of the true ambassadors to our hobby. Like me - you prefer to stay out of the limelight. It's our antics sometimes that draw us
back in.

Da Stack
Old 11-16-2006, 10:25 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Cool yES, i WAS THERE

Edroo and Smokestack,

Yes, I remember that time as well! It was by far, one of the best times in my efl history! had a chance to see all of the stuff I only heard about or rumored to be in exsistance was at B-Nix house.

He inspired me to wanna collect too. He keep things in wraps and displyed at the same time. This adventure was the first time I met the both of you and the others - Paul, David and John B.

Brian and I did a live demo of EFL in a Toy-R-Us during that time also. This was around the time of the early EF explosion. Last played him in RAIDERMAN INVATATIONAL #1. Brain Sure could chuck the rock! made it look like he was holding the ball over the receiver's head and dropping on him... that's how accurate he was passing.

Edroo, I still have your write-up somewhere in my archives. I will have dig it up and scan and post for our new home to have.

Now, on to Big brother G-man. One of the coolest guys I ever met. Remember playing in in 2000 miggle after hearing about him. We used to talk often over the years until after the SI layout. I think I still have a team from him. One of the top 5 hand painters I ever seen.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:40 PM
TheTweakFreak

I spoke and exchanged several emails with B-Nix in the distant past but only got to meet him once. It was at a tourney. We got along so well I decided to tank in the tourney just so we could play, scrimmage, rap and hang out more on the side. We had a total blast. B-Nix is not only one of the classiest guys I ever met, he is also straight up - sincere. He is or was the most deadly lob passer on the planet. He spent about 30 minutes trying to teach me his method. I am not ashamed to say that while I do ok at it, I could not hold a candle to him. He would place a receiver about 70 yds down field and completely surround it with defenders. He would then place the TTQB on the GL and lob a pass using his thumb nail on the TTQB. Ball would go up like a punt, drop straight down and nail the receiver almost every single time. Incredible! Never saw anything like it before or since.

I never got a chance to meet G-Man in person. We spoke on the phone a few times and exchanged emails. As said before, he was way ahead of his time in this hobby. His paint jobs are crisp, clean and precise. I am proud to say I own a set of 11 figures he did for me as a gift many years ago. Though they were before the decal craze hit the hobby, they are as appealing to me today as they were back then.

If there ever were true ambassadors for this hobby, I'd have to put these two gents at or very near the top of the list. People like them can not be replaced and the hobby sorely misses their involvement.

Apologies for the rambling and blubbering but these two guys meant the world to me, personally, and even more to the hobby at large.

-Mike Pratt
Old 11-16-2006, 07:00 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default The Force

Mike,

Hey how goes it ? I hope the rehab and rest are going well. Looks like you will join the "Ironside" Brigade (coaches who are comfortable sitting at the 50 yard line during the entire game) real soon. Much luv for ya bro. Tweaking
is prolly in a new zone for you.

I appreciated your comments and observations. It suddenly dawned on me that we were (constantly) enriched by others in the hobby. Meaning Jedi Warriors didn't just spring up in the hobby - they were nurtured. Often times, these masters were on the par with many in terms of true EF experience or age. We were the beneficiaries of this mentoring. Examples are Dirk to Pat and RM to the many minions of young men he has touched. Will Style and Smitty have the calling as well.

What they (the masters) left us with inspired us to go in different directions. Take a Joe Konapacki for example. He is revered the moment he walks in the door (e.g., supports many styles. formats, and tourneys). Joe never played EF competitively. I never saw him play a single game. Joe went on to collect
every original 67 big, Black shoe, Hong Kong BS, and haiti BS team that Tudor (err haiti, china, etc) ever extruded. That's dark and light my friends...

So, its people like Brian Nixon, The G-Man, Dirk, and others who first carried the torch. These guys were walking repositories of information - kinda like a talking EF World Book. At the risk of leaving people out - today we are enriched by the "creative" genius of:

- TP
- Bruce
- Frank (Sage advice)
- Jay Boy
- Old School
- Corey (someone has to bring the vote out)
- Larry (both of them)
- Myron (who planted many league seedlings)
- Chris and Rich for things on and off the table
- Chris Rob and John Wright
- Norbert - who has raised the bar further than we could have envisioned
- Diamond (you are safe here)
- Reg

The good news is that the proverbial well is not dry - but rather is flush and brimming with new and emerging talent that many of us can't even comprehend. The (leagues/playas) numbers may be climbing a slippery slope. Instead, I see a time of revival. Young Lions, Jedi's, new masters, and some older - yes, now wiser EF hobbyists will soon appear on the EF scene. Many are already here.

Who do YOU see out there that is poised to grab the next new frontier
in terms of artistry, creativity (game style, rules), or - is just overflowing with talent ? It's not always the guy with the best decal job or paint brush. He is more than likely acquiring what he/she can from EBAY etc. Post up so we can start picking their collective brains.

Da Stack