Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2006, 06:02 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Evolution Part 1

Evolution

As I look back through time (1970 ) There was a game out there that every little boy had, well almost every one.

And froma childs view we played this game. We were limited because our minds really couldn't comprehend the complex nature of football.

Unable to solve the mystery of passing, we resorted to alturnative forms of passing that would pacify our wants.

With out adult guidance we formed an identity that we thought was right, and it was right, from the a childs intellectual stand point.

Unable to agree on just how to play that didn't give an advantage to some one we separated and formed leagues where we could be king of the hill and be in control.
Not being satisfied with the state of the game frustration sat in, and into the dark abyss the game went. The mystery of how to play with out giving one sid an advantage remained unsolved frozen in time.

Now more than 30 years later the ice has melted and the unsolved mystery remains.
Now grown up with a greater intellect, and more of an understanding of the adult game of football, it is logical to think that the mystery of this game would finaly be solved.

Unfortunatly male pride, jealousy, selfishness has not given way to comprehention and logic. Many have compromised the integrity of football to satisfy a selfish want.

Subconsciously we want realism, this is evident by face mask, decals, figures, fiedl covers, scale size boards, but there is something missing, something that will elevate a childs game to an intellectual, cerebral sports strategy game that reflects the essences of football.

But like crabs in a barrel, when one trys to move ahead, there is some one that wants to pull him back down to there level.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:36 AM
Dent

QUOTE=Anthony D Burgess ”Subconsciously we want realism, this is evident by face mask, decals, figures, field covers, scale size boards, but there is something missing, something that will elevate a child’s game to an intellectual, cerebral sports strategy game that reflects the essences of football."

Here in Australia I will admit that I have not seen your style of play so this is not a comment on that, but I would like to make a observation about the quote above.

Difference does not always mean evolution it mainly just means difference which can be good or bad. Being “simple” doesn’t make something a child’s game – many things are simple to learn, yet hard to master”. I play FOW (a WW2 miniature game) which in no way can they be described as an accurate simulation of Company level combat in WW2, but I play the for a number of reasons (not in any order)

1. They allow a reasonable quick game, which is important for tournaments that have a number of rounds.
2. They have the "Feel" of the era because we use paint miniatures that show the combatants.
3. They are popular and easy to teach.
4. It's fun

If I want a realistic simulation I use a different set of rules and enjoy them for what they are – different and suit the mood I’m in.

The above said there does seem to be some fairly strong positions held by people on this and the Miggle board. I think it’s just a matter of “horses for courses”
Old 11-23-2006, 07:05 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Thanks Dent

Thank you for your logical opion.