Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Solitaire (The all by myself forum)
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2010, 01:30 AM
Coach

Default Idea For A Fast-Play/Season System: Card Matching

I've not been able to get down and play this season, as I've had my time filled with the arrival of a new little daughter and my son's activities in Cub Scouts and his soccer league, but I still keep my mind in the game, still planning what sort of league I will eventually have, planning out a non-electric miniature football game, and contemplating how to manage a fast-play system to allow for a full season with a large league or even a 16-20 team league, and I thought of a scheme by which you use linescore/offensive stat cards.

Prepare cards, each one with a linescore and the basic offensive stats (total yards offence, yards passing/running, TDs, FGs, INTs) for one team from any football game from any league. When you have enough for a large deck or two decks, shuffle them and, for any two teams you match up, draw a card for each. Whichever team has the higher scorecard is your winner. The results are wholly random and can decide a game as a close win, a blowout, or a tie depending on final scores after four quarters (each card should all be four-quarter games) For tie games, you draw from another deck of overtime scores, which can either be sudden death or the NCAA system of alternating possessions, and it's about a minute a matchup. You can draw results for the whole league for each week in less than an hour, reserving your "home" team matchups and one to four (or however many you like) matchups for full play "games of the week". Playoff and championship games would, of course, be full live play contests.

Last edited by Orleanian In Exile : 11-14-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:23 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Another way people could use this idea, but still run plays if they have time, is to use cards to determine where the game is entering the final quarter. If it's a blowout, you might just leave it. But if it's close, then you could play the 4th quarter on the field to see how it comes out based on the situation depicted from a set of cards.

I think the old Pennant Race baseball game was kinda like this, where you picked up a season 120 games in and took it from there to the end to determine the winners.

Ed
Old 11-16-2010, 10:18 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Good fastplay idea. I had similar one for basketball as a kid.

I like that fast play system.

I once made up my own basketball game somewhat like that. I would use a standard deck of 52 playing cards and 2 standard dice. I would shuffle the deck and put it in a pile face down. I would draw a card first for the visiting team lets say an 8. I would then roll the dice. If I rolled an 8 the team was credited with a 3 point shot. If I rolled a 7 or a 9 it would be a 2 point shot. If I rolled a 6 or 10 it would be a 1 point free throw. If the dice roll was not within 2 of the card as stated in the example it became a rebound. I would then roll both dice. If it came up doubles it was an offensive rebound and the offense would draw the next card and roll again. Any other rool but a double would be a defensive rebound and they would draw and roll. Once through the deck was a quarter for the pros and a half for college. All cards were face value and picture cards were a jack=11, a queen= 12 a king=13 and was not eligable for a 3 pointer because a dice roll can be no higher than a 12.For the aces I made them a 7 since this was the easiest number to score on. I used the 2 jokers as wild cards and assigned a number to each team for their wildcard number. The better teams got the easier numbers to hit and the weaker teams were assigned tougher numbers to hit.

I also had a list of 6 players per team to keep stats. Starting at the top of the list when the card was turned it was that players shot and if he scored the points were his. If he missed the next guy on the list and the first guy on the other teams list were up for the rebound. After the rebound was determined you would move down the list to the next guy and move on. I would only use the 6th player on the list every other time through the list because he was the designated player off the bench.