Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2007, 11:29 AM
steelerdan43

Default Running with or without a FB?

Ive thought about this quite a bit when trying different plays and working on them, do you prefer to run with or without the FB? With the FB you get another guy pushing directly in front of the runner but do you think it holds the runner up from getting to "the hole"? Or do you prefer to run another TE and design your runs to "bounce" outside? I think having a FB on the field gives you another option for things like the FB trap and a quick hitter down at the goal line since he doesnt have as far to go. It seems like there are pros and cons and its a matter of personal opinion so whats yours?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:42 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default FB

i ussaly use an fb....and when i run a wishbone offense ( i do collego)..the fb is a BIG part of the blocking scheme...see my post on wishbone on my chat board at
http://nmefl.proboards54.com/index.cgi

the fb can help you get a wedge on the line and be an blocking back for extra power...brian
Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 PM
MFCA MEMBER

In my opinion, the more players running free in electric football the better. I use both systems of two TE's and 1 back and one TE and two backs. Depending on the situation.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:44 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Very good MF topic!

These are my thoughts....

With an O-line wedge style blocking scheme, I believe the con to the I-formation tailback dive is the potential slowness to the hole and protection against fast outside loopers. I believe the pro of the I-formation fullback is the ability to pick up the linebacker to spring the tailback for longer runs. If the loopers are picked up, a slower developing I-formation handoff to the tailback also seems to allow things to open up in front of him. For short yardage the fullback in the I-formation still has the stacked power, but unless the wedge blocking is superb, the ability of the linebacker to tackle the FB is there (but this may be okay, especially in short yardage).

Now with a more zone-like blocking style from the O-line (less wedge and drive blocking replaced by more rotational or lateral blocking motions ) I believe the fullback would have a nice ability to do some good solid lead blocking on D-lineman that might be unaccounted for by the O-line or to create gaps by trap blocking on D-lineman that were open to rush up the field.

I believe picking a blocking scheme greatly depends on the width of the board you are playing on. I really like the bigger board (bigger than 620) to open things up. We don't get too many functional playing topics like this, I personally like these topics.
Joe
Old 08-23-2007, 05:10 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I guess it would all depend on how the defense is set up. I usually like to have an extra blocker whenever possible. Here's a classic case:

The Third Reichs defensive end was lined up outside of the Bozos tackle, Question Mark. 2 Cents, the running back, helped with the block along with the tight end, Target while Question Mark went upfield and took out the Reichs safety. Meanwhile, Pisces, the wide reciever, held up the cornerback just long enough for More or Less to hit the hole. Without 2 Cents helping Target out, the Reichs end would have nailed More or Less for little to no gain. I believe this play went for a TD as the Reich was completely overmatched in the game.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2007, 06:36 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Many variables

Just like in real football - What is the defensive alignment/tendencies? Are the backs strong or quick? With quick you might try to run the stretch (wide) from the strong formation with FB or H back acting to kick-out outside (DE) or push the DT and corner of the LOS off. I would agree that width of field is a special variable in EF.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:56 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Any running Game

FB,.......

Well to realy answer this question we must understand that this questions has other questions infront of it that will effect it.

Field size is the major issue for the running game. This hurts the game play for both the run and pass.

The defensive formation vs the offensive formation can really come into play on a scale size board. The SS have to do one of two things, play close to the line to defend the run, or play back to defend the pass. They cant do both as you see on smaller boards to date.

Now the FB is a blocker most of the time and his target is the LB, or SS. his block can spring the RB/HB into the open field. (Keep in mind this is a thinking mans game) .

Old 08-24-2007, 10:24 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default good question.....

in most running plays in MF, you have to account for the OLB aka looper to gain any yards on the ground.

you can run from all formations once you understand this point. I will attach an old post from miggle called "running 101" I used to explain some of this. Also, if you got the 1st edition of "The Tweak" it also looks at this.

If you stick with wedge blocking, your best running area would be to the outside or off tackle. Try to use the FB and TE to kickout the OLB or force him deeper (or take a wide arc) to get to the backfield. If your TE & FB are blocking out (towards the sideline) and the O-line is wedge-blocking, you should get a hole between OT and TE where the RB should be attacking.

figure 1 is detup with O-Line all blocking to left except the OT, TE which are blocking to the right. the formations was an Offset-I and you see the FB leading into the hole that is created.

figure 2 - power sweep where you can get a hat on every defender except one and it's up to the RB to beat him.....

figure 3 - split backfield - with a split backfield, you present the defense with multiple problems where they have to defend the dive-play or the one man sweep.... if the looper goes after the QB/FB then the quick pitch is open to the outside....
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2007, 10:25 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default the old article

here it is......
Attached Files
File Type: doc Running the Football 101.doc (62.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 08-25-2007, 12:05 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Nice Pictures

Nice Pictures, but as you can see in each picture that the field is small, the beses take up about 5 yards, and there is little room to run to the out side. Even though the blocking is good up front there is little space due to the design of the field. It's like playing football, 11 on 11 on a basketball court.

All that you said is true, but is but a aftet thought when you look at the field size.How much better your running game will be if played on a properly sized field for these figures to run on.

Hey, would you put on cloths that are to small ? No you would look very funny , the same goes for the size of the field we play on.