Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > Shootout Rules
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2008, 06:58 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default In this style, the west coast offense is outstanding

What are some ways you coaches think is best at slowing it down ?

Norbert Revels
Old 11-28-2008, 09:33 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Cool contain the the wr's and te's as you ........

keep the heat on the Qb.......on Offense nickel and dime
Old 11-28-2008, 10:16 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I think not giving the QB more then 1 second is the biggest thing a defense can do against the west coast, in the shoot out system and using this offense, all you need is 1 or 2 seconds to move the ball, it's crazy, the motioning of 3 guys with the splits in the OL is scary to defend, you have got to have cats everywhere, even if you think the play is not going to a certain side, you still better put some cats there, (smile).

Norbert
Old 11-29-2008, 01:50 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default You slowed us down in our game

Norbert,

I found one way to slow it down and you were the one that did it. Amazing all the different types of schemes you can run in this style from a power straight ahead line to wide splits and many other things.

The strategy is quick, precise, and you get one chance.

Reg
Old 11-29-2008, 02:48 AM
Coach

I was most impressed by Reg and Mike using this style here in Los Angeles. They both featured good defenses and were geared to shutting down the receivers with that special CB figure (Reg custom, forward on base with arms forward) and other "spinning" DB's playing zone. The pass pressure was awesome as well....but it would have been interesting to watch them play against each other in that regard!

I did okay handling Reggie's receivers, but he astutely abused me by using his running backs on the edges. I could not get any pressure on his QB really. His offensive line scheme nullified loopers and handled my guys that tried to shoot gaps in the middle. I truly believe that the best scheme against Reggie would be to find a way to generate a consistent pass rush in the middle.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:39 AM
MFCA MEMBER

This is the most offensive minded rules I've played.

Regarding the west coast offense, the RBs out of the backfield are HUGE threats in the passing game since the defense can't match their audible-motions. I would be very curious to see the recieving stats in the DFW, I would think the RBs would dominate. Also, since you can pass to engaged recievers you can simply do running plays up the middle, but instead call pass and stop the board and pass to a RB in between the tackles when he is actually engaged by a DT. Its a seemingly common way to try to get 3 yards rather than risk the any touch tackle on a run play.

Also, in this system the two deep safties seem to be more of the norm than in many other styles of play (although this is highly dependant on the size of the board you are playing on too). The two deep safties can help to "contain" the RBs from getting long runs (since board stops for adjustments after RB gets 10 yards) and it also allows for zone coverage for when the offense can "out-motion" the defense leaving the defense vulnerable. In short, one way to defend in the shootout rules would be the bend but don't break defense. Wait for a penalty, interception, a sack, etc. In miniature football you usually see a totally attacking defensive style but I think the bend but don't break defense would have a place in this rule set.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Pressure, pressure, pressure

I believe that pressure busts any pipes. Sometimes I will put in 3 loopers in a game with just two down lineman. I did this against the Lions and it worked out. Seau and Merriman was all over his tail. However Norbert beat me with backs out the backfield becaue of his brute strength. So it is a bend but don't break defense that can help you in this style of play.