Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Solitaire (The all by myself forum)
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 11:12 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default NJLMFL NEW PASS CHART & INTANGIBLES CHART

I have spent hours developing these charts based on input from some other members and this is what I came up with and are now official charts in my league.
Attached Files
File Type: doc NJLMFL INTANGIBLE CHART.doc (43.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: doc NJLMFL PASS CHART.doc (38.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by dogwood30 : 02-10-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:37 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Awesome!

I can use these with just a few minor adjustments for some of my own preferences.

These charts apply ONLY to pass plays though, correct?

Do you have/use a different chart to allow for fumbles, penalties, ......intangibles on running plays as well?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:31 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I have a 30 sided dice I use after each play. I roll it and if a # 1 comes up there is a fumble if the player was down by contact. If a # 13 comes up there is a penalty on the play. You can make up your own penalty charts or use the one Reggie created. It's up to you. As far as fumbles roll dice again- evens offense recovers odds defense recovers.

I don't use intangibles on running plays. That is one area where I let the players do their thing. I don't want to incoporate too many charts into the game because then it would be just a glorified board game. Running plays are far more exciting than the pass plays.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:37 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I agree.

As I've looked at our 'chart' conversations I had the same thoughts; it would be easy to end up rolling dice more than running the board. I like the charts but I don't want to take the game out of the players' bases.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:53 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Already posted this once but don't know where it went.

Hey there Ed, Mike, Walt, and any other interested solitaire players. I've been doing a lot of thinking about the conversations we've had regarding dice and intangibles or rare plays.

Although I prefer to leave the outcome of the game up to the figures and their bases there is value added by including plays that do not or do not often occure on the MF field.

With that in mind, I have wanted to look into the MPFL dvd and see how that rule set handles such things, but I'd rather spend my MF money on other things right now. But, this post is about dice so back to the topic at hand.

Since I use the ATTAC passing system I did not have a need for many of the situations listed on your intangible chart such as sacks, batted passes, interceptions, ect. In my system these things can and do occure on the field without the dice being ivolved. I also wanted to address the fact intangible or rare things can occure at any point in a play not just at the end. Finally, I did not want a roll of the dice at the end of a play to 'undo' what occured on the field (I"m not talking penalties) for example, if a pass is completed I wouldn't want a roll of the dice to rewind the play and create a qb sack.

So, here is what I did. I created a chart that utilizes a two dice roll before the ball is snapped. If the roll comes up anything but a doubles no dice action occures and the play is ran to fruition normaly. If a doubles comes up, depending on which doubles it is, there will be dice action during the play. Each doubles has the following meaning in dertermining when the dice action occures and second roll is needed to determin the action.

Double 1 = before the snap
Double 2 = after the snap
Double 3 = after the first stop
Double 4 = after the second stop
Double 5 = at the end of the play
Double 6 is not in use at this time.

When a doubles comes up, a second die is rolled at the designated time to reveal the dice action that will occure on the play.

I think that explains enough. The chart is linked below. Take a look. The rest is pretty self explanitory, I think.

Keep in mind that this is for use in my nine-man league for high school teams so some rules are different than the NFL or college rules.

You will notice a few empty cells. Please pass along anything you can think of that would work to fill these in; I'm out of ideas.

The double six column is also empty. I'm thinking of a way to utilize it for special teams plays. Again any suggestions are welcome.

If you have any other suggestions, comments, questions or ideas please pass them along.

I really enjoy discussing these things with you guys.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Dice Chart v2.docx (18.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 AM
MFCA MEMBER

On passing plays, I shake the box before I check to see if the pass is complete/incomplete. That way, if there is a penalty, I'll know it then, if there's going to be a fumble, I'll know it then, and if the rare play board is to come into play, then I can go right to that.

The original reason for doing this, back when I was actually throwing the passes and such, was if The Box was going to determine a pass to be incomplete or intercepted, I didn't want to waste time playing out the play.

Now, it's just part of the dice roll sequence and flows great.

Ed
Old 02-18-2011, 07:48 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I see....

.......I thought you guys were waiting till the play was over to shake the dice.

Of course, there is no one 'correct' way to do this. Not so long ago I was only using dice to call plays. I did't even do that when I started out. Now, thanks to all the ideas we've bantied about here, I have a unique version of a dice chart that allows for penalties, fumbles, and other occurances in my games.

How much time do you think using the dice over actually throwing the passes saves you? Is time the reason you made the change or were there other factors?

I'm hoping to kick off my next game tonight and give my new chart a go.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:34 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drk View Post
.......I thought you guys were waiting till the play was over to shake the dice.

Of course, there is no one 'correct' way to do this. Not so long ago I was only using dice to call plays. I did't even do that when I started out. Now, thanks to all the ideas we've bantied about here, I have a unique version of a dice chart that allows for penalties, fumbles, and other occurances in my games.

How much time do you think using the dice over actually throwing the passes saves you? Is time the reason you made the change or were there other factors?

I'm hoping to kick off my next game tonight and give my new chart a go.
I'm now using 45-minute quarters instead of 60-minute quarters and getting approximately the same number of plays in. So it's saving me an hour a game.

Ed

Last edited by RooMorgans : 02-18-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:38 AM
MFCA MEMBER

really like your passing chart.

Benster
Old 02-18-2011, 03:41 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I play strictly by a time clock. 15:00 quarters just like the NFL. I get in between 65-80 plays per game. I would never get this many in if I was actually throwing the ball. I have always used a pass chart becuase I could never get the knack of throwing that little felt ball. I now use the percentage pass charts that Ed developed for different length passes and added my Intangibles chart to that and things are working out much better.