Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:42 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default What's Wrong with this Hobby ?

I have been around for some time, Miggle II and on . I have been around and seen so much .

What I can say is that this is a wonderful Hobby , but the men who are in this hobby is the major issue.

Male pride, political agenda's, are at the heart of issues . Every one wants to be the Man , so doing what is right , fair, and just are words no longer used because winning is more important than sportsmanship .

No one wants to be wrong , no one is man enought to stand on what is right even if the person doing wrong is our friend or league mate .

We want to be the BIG FISH in a little pond , not knowing that there is a sea out there filled with things we know nothing about and things that could make us better .

We judge one another with out first talking to them , we take the word of others with out thinking for our self , I don't like this guy because of this and that, never once reaching out to gain an understanding .

When the truth is told we get offended and seek to take the focus off the truth and focus on the person who stood on it !

If I was to give some advise to every one in this hobby what would it be ?

I would say:

Truth !!!!!!!!! Humility !!!!!!!!!!! Respect !!!!!!!!!! Honor !!!!!!!!!! are words you need to take to heart . Look to understand , not to judge , be teachable not unreachable , be a good follower first befor thinking about being a leader.

Ask your self, what positive thing have I done to help my league, or to help this hobby ? Did you thank someone for there positive contribution, or did you reward them with negativity ? Did you stand for what is right , or attack the person standing up for the right ?

It has never been about how you play , but how you treat others in this hobby . If some one is smarter than you then praise them don't hate them , if they create something then respect them and learn about there work, don't judge them because you your self can't do, or can't understand .

If you can't do , will not do , don't know or try to learn then that's all on you, but don't hinder others because your unable to comprehend . This is the Poison that is killing this hobby.

I just think that this needed to be said and expressed as any foundation built on truth honor, respect, humility will stand.

So don't you think it's time to build a new foundation for the future of this hooby !

Or Will you continue to be the way you are now ?

It's not about you ! It's time this Hobby Win !
Old 09-16-2007, 08:31 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D Burgess View Post

We want to be the BIG FISH in a little pond , not knowing that there is a sea out there filled with things we know nothing about and things that could make us better .

Maybe you missed my seaweed post :rolleyes:

OK, I've been avoiding these type of posts before, but I just can't sit back any more. I think what's wrong with this hobby isn't whether we're playing multi-stop or one stop. It isn't what size board we use, what figures we use or what weight they are. It isn't pass placement vs pop and pass or any of that. What's wrong is:

1)There is a small, core group of people who continually try and push their way of playing as a better way than what others are playing. So let's get one thing striaght right now. There is no one system that is better than another. They are different, that's all. What may be percieved as "better" by one person may not be by others. The MFCA is about unifying the hobby. Unification requires acceptance and compromise. That means people need to realise that there are many ways to enjoy playing the game, not just their own way! Everyone needs to take a good look at themselves and see if they are one of these people. If you can't, or just refuse to, accept that other people will like to play differently than the way that you play, then maybe the MFCA isn't for you. We need people who want to promote MF, not just their way of playing MF. I'm not saying that you can't talk about or promote your way of playing. I'm saying that if put it out there, and there isn't a great rush to join it, then maybe it's because others are happy with the way they and their leagues are doing things. Quit beating it to death.

2)Promotion in general. Back in the day, Tudor advertised the game on TV and other venues. Today, there is no advertisement. There is a whole country full of guys that don't even know the game still exists. We, meaning the MFCA, need to get off our colective butts and find a way to let people know that MF is alive and kicking, and thanks to Miggle, Buzzball and FootballFigures better than ever. Hopefully, maybe we can put together a package of fliers or posters that we can send out that can be posted in colleges, churches or rec rooms across the country that will develop some fresh blood for our hobby. I think this is what we need more than anything else, exosure. (Lynn, keep the raincoat closed! )
Old 09-16-2007, 08:45 PM
MFCA Member #3

Default My two cents

What is wrong with this hobby? The answer...nothing! I see fellowship...I see guys having a ton of fun and I see people beginning to come together. If anything is wrong it is that maybe people are forgetting to have fun and maybe just taking things just a little to seriously. Don't get me wrong...I enjoy competition, but when negativity creeps into this website, then I move on to other post and look for the fellowship on other post. Looking down on people and argueing has never in the history of mankind done any good, however when people can come together and just enjoy a simple game like miniature football, then something special can be the result.

Unity, Fellowship and Intregity is the theme for the MFCA. It is just not our slogan, but if you follow it..it leads to good sportsmanship, honor and good things. I personally would like to see a standard way of playing this game not because it maybe is the best way to play, but so a new coach has some place to start...some place to work on their skills. If we truely want to promote this hobby, then we need to stop intimidating new coaches with all these rules. That does not mean each league should stop using their special way of playing...that is not what I am saying, but to get more coaches we need to find a general set of rules to get them started...then after they are used to the game, then they can choose which is best for them.

My two cents....

The Silverhorse is ready to ride! Geddy up!
Old 09-16-2007, 09:05 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D Burgess View Post
I have been around for some time, Miggle II and on . I have been around and seen so much .

What I can say is that this is a wonderful Hobby , but the men who are in this hobby is the major issue.

Male pride, political agenda's, are at the heart of issues . Every one wants to be the Man , so doing what is right , fair, and just are words no longer used because winning is more important than sportsmanship .

No one wants to be wrong , no one is man enought to stand on what is right even if the person doing wrong is our friend or league mate .

We judge one another with out first talking to them , we take the word of others with out thinking for our self , I don't like this guy because of this and that, never once reaching out to gain an understanding .

When the truth is told we get offended and seek to take the focus off the truth and focus on the person who stood on it !

If I was to give some advise to every one in this hobby what would it be ?

I would say:

Truth !!!!!!!!! Humility !!!!!!!!!!! Respect !!!!!!!!!! Honor !!!!!!!!!! are words you need to take to heart . Look to understand , not to judge , be teachable not unreachable , be a good follower first befor thinking about being a leader.

Ask your self, what positive thing have I done to help my league, or to help this hobby ? Did you thank someone for there positive contribution, or did you reward them with negativity ? Did you stand for what is right , or attack the person standing up for the right ?

It has never been about how you play , but how you treat others in this hobby . If some one is smarter than you then praise them don't hate them , if they create something then respect them and learn about there work, don't judge them because you your self can't do, or can't understand .

If you can't do , will not do , don't know or try to learn then that's all on you, but don't hinder others because your unable to comprehend . This is the Poison that is killing this hobby.

I just think that this needed to be said and expressed as any foundation built on truth honor, respect, humility will stand.

So don't you think it's time to build a new foundation for the future of this hooby !

Or Will you continue to be the way you are now ?

It's not about you ! It's time this Hobby Win !
Anthony,
I have never met you or spoken to you, but it seems to me that for some reason or other your very mad and frustrated about EFL. I'm relatively new to the hobby(apprx 1 1/2 years) and enjoy it very much. I'm also very fortunate to live about 5 minutes away from Reginald Rutledge, who has been a teacher and mentor for me as I continue to increase my knowledge in the hobby. I'm also very fortunate to compete in one of the toughest leagues in the country(DFW League), and our Coaches enjoy competetion and fellowship. I have become one of the better strentgh tweakers and I have become good at it B/C several Coaches took the time to show me the basics of how the prongs work on different type of bases. I don't know who the coaches are that you are refering to as being very selfish and self centered, but I have experienced just the opposite of that in the DFW league, and I also met some real fine Coaches at the TSO. Man if your so frustrated about EFL and it's making you so upset, take a few steps back, don't let those Coaches your refering to get under your skin, and just enjoy this hobby, there are some wonderful coaches in our hobby. Life is to short to be mad about something in the EFL, it's a hobby and it's supposed to be enjoyed. Enjoy the hobby and don't be so concerned with what other coaches say or do, don't let them bring you down. And if it brings you down and upsets you so much maybe you should take a long hard look at what it is your trying to get out of this great hobby, know as the EFL. Anthony I've got 1 question for you, what have you done for EFL lately to improve our hobby.
Until Next time
RD
Old 09-16-2007, 10:25 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Smile

I am a rookie in every sense of the word. I have never even played a complete game. My point is my view is from the outside looking in. What I see is a lot of different ways to play, figures to use, and the sky is the limit. I also see people bickering back and forth for what. No one is forcing any body to do anything. If you don't like using a divider then don't play with one and don't go to tournament that use one. We are all humans (well from what read the jury is still out on AL) We all like different things. Can you imagine coming out of Wally world to a sea of red Yugos? Verity is the spice of life. I joined the MFCA because they are trying to promote EF not a single style of play or a particular figure but the hobby in general. You will never get everyone to agree on anything. So play the way you like, enjoy the hobby and its people, don't try and change everyone thinking and promote the hobby. At the end of the day most of us are adults playing a game originally designed for kids, thats the bottom line. Have fun and that’s all I have to say on this subject.

Coach Tim
MFCA HHEFL MID-OHIO

Lets crack some plastic! Go Panthers GO IRISH
Old 09-16-2007, 10:46 PM
MFCA MEMBER

SmileyCentral.com
Old 09-17-2007, 12:49 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Ab Has Some Good Points

I think AB has some very valid points. To each his own. Since I have been back into EF (8yrs.), many of the things AB has mentioned, I have experienced. I will not let the negative experiences tarnish my EF fun. In the beginning, I was reluctant to join the coaches association due to my passed experiences in dealing with people in the EF Community. I'm talking about going to tournaments and basically being shuned because of the region I'm from, no one willing to scrimmage with me @ conventions, and the overall attitude and self promotion of people on the various chat boards. I decided to give it a chance after being persuaded that I needed to be part of the solution (growing the hobby), not part of the problem.
Also, I saw that some of the coaches involved have actually been consistent in their dealings with their fellow EFers when it comes to being accountable, having integrity, and honestly trying to promote the hobby, and not themselves, or their products, or leagues. Also, I get tired of the whining about quitting, or retireing. If your going to quit, then quit. Why are grown men announcing their retirements from a toy game, a hobby. I'm not going to beg anybody to keep playing. If you want to quit, then do it. Why announce it to the community? My goal with EF is promote the hobby, get new blood involved without the negativity of the same old heads who bring the BS and division to the sport. Here is a prime example of what AB is talking about, and the shameless promotion of self that goes on in this hobby.
Check this thread out...(Rick Garrison from Tri-Valley Football Club in the News!) This piece is part of the month long promotion of EF that the LAEFL has been doing on Channel 5 in Los Angeles. Coaches from the LAEFL have done close to 6 spots in the last month and a half promoting EF on the local morning news. The three coaches featured do not go overboard promoting themselves, or their league. They basically promote football using EF. On numerous occasions I have come across something on this board that uses the very same footage to promote another league (Rick Garrison from Tri-Valley Football Club) and the figures they are selling. No mention of the hobby, the league who invited Rick out to appear in the promotion, nothing but self promotion. So many people who do things like this is why I think the hobby is not growing as rapidly as is should be. Also, there are several people on this board (California) who listen to what other people say (negatives) about leagues in their area, but will not check it out for themselves. I'm not going to beg anyone to get their EF Jones on. If you are local but will not come see for your self, then you are missing out. We have been here for 8 yrs. I've come to the conclusion that people in this hobby are in it for different reasons. Some like the hobby aspect, chat aspect, BS aspect, and others like the league aspect of interacting with other coaches, and putting their tweaking skillz to work. I will never retire from EF because I love it too much. I feel that your mid to late 30s is the prime time to compete in leagues. At this point, your eyesight, and body is still good.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:47 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Fyi

Hey,

I'm not upset , not at all, and it's not about MPFL, or any other style " RavennaAL! "

Some of these responces prove the point. Some want to point the finger at a person because they don't clearly see and understand the post.

The post was not about pushing a style , or promoting something, but about the type of men in this hobby. Being a honest leader , someone who leads by example.

Some have been blessed to not have gone throught things that others have, from making no issues an issue , to doing what people want over being fair .

If 20 coaches agree on something does it make it right? Now just think about it for a moment...................If the 20 coaches are wrong and 1 is right then what do you do ??

Guys, it's all about integrity . When no one is looking can you still do the right thing ? Or do you co sign because you don't want to cause any problems ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPD View Post
Anthony,
I have never met you or spoken to you, but it seems to me that for some reason or other your very mad and frustrated about EFL. I'm relatively new to the hobby(apprx 1 1/2 years) and enjoy it very much. I'm also very fortunate to live about 5 minutes away from Reginald Rutledge, who has been a teacher and mentor for me as I continue to increase my knowledge in the hobby. I'm also very fortunate to compete in one of the toughest leagues in the country(DFW League), and our Coaches enjoy competetion and fellowship. I have become one of the better strentgh tweakers and I have become good at it B/C several Coaches took the time to show me the basics of how the prongs work on different type of bases. I don't know who the coaches are that you are refering to as being very selfish and self centered, but I have experienced just the opposite of that in the DFW league, and I also met some real fine Coaches at the TSO. Man if your so frustrated about EFL and it's making you so upset, take a few steps back, don't let those Coaches your refering to get under your skin, and just enjoy this hobby, there are some wonderful coaches in our hobby. Life is to short to be mad about something in the EFL, it's a hobby and it's supposed to be enjoyed. Enjoy the hobby and don't be so concerned with what other coaches say or do, don't let them bring you down. And if it brings you down and upsets you so much maybe you should take a long hard look at what it is your trying to get out of this great hobby, know as the EFL. Anthony I've got 1 question for you, what have you done for EFL lately to improve our hobby.
Until Next time
RD
Old 09-17-2007, 01:23 PM
MFCA MEMBER

What I get tired of hearing, among other things.. but this is a big one..

"What have you brought to the hobby?"

You know something.. If someone is playing EF.. They're bringing something to the hobby... They're buying EF products.. Whether it be from Miggle, Buzzball, FF.com, Beal, Decal Master, Beenutt, Guttman, or any of the other painters or suppliers.. The guys who have been working their tails off to start the MFCA! I apologize.. I didn't mean to leave anyone out.. but I know there are several I didn't mention.

And even if their budget is small... and they don't buy much..
They're PLAYING!... And as small as this hobby is, we need every single EF player out there.. And that's a contribution in the real scheme of things..

I sunk way too much money into producing bases.. And I knew when I did it, It was a bad investment... Knowing the return would be slow.. and breaking even some day was the ultimate goal.. But guess what.. There's no pedestal or higher plane that Manufacturers or people who have developed systems belong on.. And if those that HAVE done it.. have a chip on their shoulder because of it.. They need to lose it. We don't deserve ANY MORE respect than anybody else in this hobby..
Old 09-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Tron1984

Default Burgess! Come Out to play!

AB,

Nice to see your back! Now behave yourself! Hola back!
Closed Thread