Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2010, 11:28 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Smile The BIG Question! Take your gloves off and discuss...

Assuming that the MFCA World league gets going per the previous discussion, the BIG question is: What type of MFCA World League rules will appeal to the majority?

In my opinion the rules should resemble an established rule set that is not too far out that the average Joe on the street with a basic knowledge of football should be able to pick up fairly easily yet should require the basic learned skills of miniature football that with practice can be perfected.
For example, I play the majority of my games by a revised version of the NHFL rules. Without too much trouble, I have played games using the Dixie League, Buzzball, Miggle and Mid Ohio rules. I loved the NEFL rules that I watched but have not yet played , but feel that I could pick these rules up in a couple of practice games. On the other end of this,I played the LAEFL rules and all though I competed fairly well, I still don't know that I comprehended many of the rules we used and I always forgot to stop the board after 10 yards and to shake the box. Not a knock on the rules, just my own inability to learn them quickly.
Equipment should be thought out also as we don't want to have the league requiring more equipment than most of us generally already carry.

What I really want to hear is what rules you have played by, that are not your own comfortable rules, you feel you could best adjust to the quickest and still be competitive?

—Idiom
3. One Bad Em-F-er, negative shout out; pertaining to weirdwolf: There goes one bad EM-F-er. I mean he can’t play and ain’t never win nothin’!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:43 PM
MFCA MEMBER

The MEFA rules where some of what I learned first, and that was a great set. It's a good simple set that people could pick up quickly. But the game has moved on from there and some of the additions we've seen from Pennsylvania and the midwest and the west and Texas all ought to be considered.

I don't know if it's possible to build a rules set that somehow brings in a portion of every major league's rules in the country. I think if we try and do that, we're never actually going to get it off the ground, because people have to realize that it's just not possible to please everyone in this situation.

There are a few basic questions that have to be answered first:

* Will games be timed or be based on a set number of plays?

* How to handle passing? Turn and burn ... Attack passing ... pass placement, etc. A hybrid?

* Single stop or multi-stop?

* Front-of-base tackling or any touch?

* Implementation of dice and if so, for what?

These are kind of the super 5 that we are facing. Work these out, and the rest of the rules set will just about craft itself.

I thought we had good rules in BMEFA (turn and burn, FOB tackling on running plays, 18 plays per half), but clearly they weren't for everybody, since we aren't playing this fall. I'm not the biggest fan of Attack Passing, but I'm not going to boycott if that's what the majority chooses. I haven't played in a "box" league yet, but would like to, so if we go that way, it's fine by me.

Ed

Last edited by RooMorgans : 10-21-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:49 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Just for discussion sake, here are the rules put together By Chris LeMay and a rules committee as a default set for the MFCAL/CPC Championship game. They were not used at the time, but have some great elements.
Download Rules

—Idiom
3. One Bad Em-F-er, negative shout out; pertaining to weirdwolf: There goes one bad EM-F-er. I mean he can’t play and ain’t never win nothin’!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:58 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default MFCA World League

Quote:
In my opinion the rules should resemble an established rule set that is not too far out that the average Joe on the street with a basic knowledge of football should be able to pick up fairly easily yet should require the basic learned skills of miniature football that with practice can be perfected.
Wolf,

Although I did not respond to the previous discussion, I did very carefully read and consider all that was being discussed. If we are going to do this, in my opinion, we have to just come up with our own MFCA rules. establish standards in regards to figures, bases and equipment that is unique to the MFCA only and develop a style of play that is an MFCA style of play.

I am working on some things that I believe does address the issues that you mention. I will share when I feel that I have come up with something that does acomplish what is in the best interest of the MFCA and does not show favoritism towards any one manufacturer or already established style of play.
"All right, now, I don't want them to gain *another yard!* * You blitz…all…night!* If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'm gonna take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!" from Remeber the Titans
Old 10-22-2010, 01:29 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default JUST TURN THE KEY WOLF

Wolf, chris, ken

I just read the house rules. They seem great in my opinion. The philly rules also. Read them both. If you want to merge more things re both sets mentioned do so. Whatever is officially stamped coaches will print a copy and begin to learn them. maybe during this non tourney anywhere quite time is the time to put them out.

make a house rules stamp logo and

TURN THE KEY.

In our history, these discussions tend to spiral all over the place. I see abase is in place with phillys, and effanatic's rules scripts. if they have to be tweaked, please listen to ken allen. He played 41 years and pretty much played everyones rule set. So has a. baxter. phillys rules are his favorite also.They have 32 deep with 10 on deck. You should have seen the excitement when ken played corey at the convent. Whatever you guys have to do to merge anything just do it. Whatever is decided upon we all will have to learn anyway.

Just turn the key then we can begin discuss the ruleset itself in breakdown segments.
It's time we move discussions into talking about the rules instead of talking about making the rules.
Wolf, a circular stamp makes them official and gives them a look of professional credibility. Like EA SPORTS or some other gaming co.

mantaraydre
Old 10-22-2010, 04:43 AM
MFCA MEMBER

I'll read the rules tonight, after work. The only thing I can say for now is stay away from dices and random effects, please

and allow diferent passing technics (target, sim, ttqb, tdq, real throwing).
Old 10-22-2010, 07:40 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Rules

Quote:
should require the basic learned skills of miniature football that with practice can be perfected.
Complete use of the TTQB and TDQ/TDK passing and kicking figure or any other figure designed for passing and kicking.

Quote:
stay away from dices and random effects
No dice, no cards, no charts, no box, no sticks, no simulation.

These are just my preferences.
"All right, now, I don't want them to gain *another yard!* * You blitz…all…night!* If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'm gonna take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!" from Remeber the Titans
Old 10-22-2010, 08:01 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Lightbulb Options

Rules if possible should reflect Rick Garrisons' proposal, with each Region having a Representative on the rules committee, it may be in the best interest of the MFCA to try this first, may be difficult, but that would truly represent us as a whole, also freeing the MFCA from charges of being biased. That would strenghten the MFCA by creating trust & cooperation among its members.

Last edited by Megawattz : 10-25-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Coach

I think there should be multiple rule sets proposed and then a vote by all MFCA members to pick the set used. I don't like having a single regional rep given powers over all. I might even join MFCA for that...I donated first year, but really have been kind of turned off by the power struggles.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:12 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedFinFan View Post
I think there should be multiple rule sets proposed and then a vote by all MFCA members to pick the set used. I don't like having a single regional rep given powers over all. I might even join MFCA for that...I donated first year, but really have been kind of turned off by the power struggles.
I agree with u Fin, the power struggles is the very reason this isnt done already, our problem isnt who, but how. Already were changing the original concept into what we feel can work. Sometimes letting the solutions reveal themselves, & concentrating on the mechanism to make that happen is over looked, you cant have a builing without a foundation. First off, we have guys working on rules & dont even know who there making rules for, secondly anything u do requires members, u might want to start by contacting those "HEADS OF STATE" who have the info on who attends there tournaments. Build a concensus first without that its going to fail, get your chips in order. Third, let the Market decide how it wants to play, either by Conference or vote as Rick & Fin has suggested again, funny the west coast guys are the only ones involved with this discussion, if u want there support I suggest u listen. the MFCA should be an Organizer at this point, drawing all parties involved into a meaningful discussion about how this can be done, structered around "Existing dates & Tournaments" for these are when we gather. RULES ARE NO WHERE NEAR THE TABLE YET, as they are the 1 thing that will turn guys off, build your support first then rules through concensus!

Last edited by Megawattz : 10-22-2010 at 11:16 PM.