Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2009, 11:07 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Percentage-based passing

NOTE: Revised tables and better explaination below.

I have played some games using the passing sticks, and while I love the idea, some of my friends that I play against disliked how a defender could hit a hotspot on the board and pick off a short pass from across the field. Also, there was no way to throw curl routes (with the receiver remaining stationary). I am developing a way of using passing sticks and dice to pass with.

To start, the offensive coach places a ball using the passing stick. Then, the distance of the nearest defender is measured to the ball. The offensive coach rolls a 20-sided die. Based on how far away the defender is (compared to the offensive player), a certain number or higher equals a completion, and a certain number or lower equals an interception. For example, if a 14 yard passing stick were used, and the defender was 17 yards from the ball target, a roll of 9 or higher would be a completion, and a roll of 1 would be an interception. I have also incorporated bullet passing and curl route techniques. However, this is still a work in progress. I will keep tweaking the numbers (there isn't many stats to go off of for completion % based on distance of throw), and if anyone is interested, I'll post the tables.

I realize that this doesn't take each receiver's and defender's speed into account, but I think it will reduce my friends' complaining.

Last edited by volcanohead : 09-06-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:22 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default yes!!!!

interested post the tables!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 04:47 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Here they are...

revised tables below)

(Note: I use a 20-sided die that came with a Battleball board game, and use 6 different passing sticks: 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, and 20 yards, labled 1-6 respectively. The first number in parenthesis is the minimum roll for a completion; the second number is the maximum roll for an interception. For defender's distance to ball, if the defender is 7 yards from the ball and a 5 yard stick was used, the distance is +2, and so on.)

Last edited by volcanohead : 09-06-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:18 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Bullet passes

For curl routes, just treat the stationary receiver as the ball target and use the nearest defender's distance to the receiver, minus the length of the passing stick that would normally be used (see more detailed explaination below). You can throw either a normal or bullet pass to a stationary receiver as long as you use the correct charts. Remember, these numbers will almost defintely change. If it seems like it is too easy or two hard to complete a pass, I will tweak the numbers to even the balance.

Last edited by volcanohead : 09-06-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Bump

Any feedback/ideas would be appreciated.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:06 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Revised

I moved the charts, see below.

Last edited by volcanohead : 09-06-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:00 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Big discovery (imo)

I was playing a game against a friend and he asked why he had to throw the ball the length of the passing stick or a completely stationary pass. Turns out, there's no reason why!

With these charts, you can put down the ball marker wherever you want (except farther than the passing stick used); the defenders still get to move the entire length of the passing stick. Distance is measured in the same way. The dice are still rolled in accordance to the passing stick used by the defender. This allows the QB to better place his pass and can better simulate curl routes and other similar routes.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:15 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Bump

Not trying to be a pain; this is just my first real rule modification and wondered what you guys thought about it. Constructive criticism is welcomed.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:00 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Clarification Passing chart

Hey

Ran across this post while I was looking for a a way to better pass with new players. Can you explain your charts a little further? If you place the ball down and the defender is 10yds from the ball. And a 15yd stick is used, what would I need to roll to complete the pass? Just trying to understand the chart.

Thx
Old 09-05-2010, 10:48 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default interesting wargaming rules !

your dices charts are very interesting. Sounds like the days I was playing wargames

Personaly I try to keep the game on a coaching/training level, and not include "skills" (ttqb, tdq, etc...)

So I use a dice for kicks too. But I'm using a basic 6faces dice.

TD extrapoint : 2-6

field goal :

0-20 : 2-6 on the dice
20-30 : 3-6
30-40 : 4-6
40-50 : 5-6
50-60: 6
60-more : impossible (I know the record is 60 and something, but...it's so rare that I didn't want to simulate it).

1 on the dice is ALWAYS a critical failure (like we say in wargames ). To simulate the rare but real big mistakes of the kicking team, or the possible defense interception/ball punches.

Quote:
Also, there was no way to throw curl routes (with the receiver remaining stationary)
I don't understand that point If you allow the receiver to pivot, and allow to angle the passing stick, you can easily simulate curls, turns or whatever complex WR runs, no ?

Personaly, on my big board I just allow to angle the stick (to allow passing completion for WR with loop bases). But the receiver can't be pivoted.

I don't allow receiver pivot anymore, since it can be a unfair advantage to offense on my big board (certainly caused by our lack of experience in defense strategy, but for now...it's better like that. )