Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Solitaire (The all by myself forum)
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2010, 11:33 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Lessons about Solitaire Shootout play: The differences of Competition v Solo

I had the opportunity to teach a police officer friend of mine about the Shootout Solitaire Monday night. He had often watched games and seen us in action using the rules. He had always wanted to play but was one of those who could not stomach losing to anyone else, thus staying out the league that I had created here over the years.

However, he has constantly been a friend who I discuss the game of football with and the other night, he was so taken back by all the teams I had painted for myself, the stadiums, the whole setup, that he asked me. "How do you do this and are you really enjoying this?"

I told him, "Mike, look around. Does it really look like I need anyone to have fun?" He replied, "No." Then the real questions about "The Box", Weight Distribution, playing under the lights, the statistics, the movies, and everything about playing solitaire.

He always felt there was no way you could play the Shootout style in solitaire without cheating for one team. When I showed him the 100 play Playbook and he started going through the plays and seeing how, it those players run the plays accordingly, the best team would usually win - I HOOKED HIM to start his own solitaire league.

This is a guy who was always in total support of my company and my ideas. Now, I have a reason to help this guy learn everything there is to about this style of play. It was one of the best times, just teaching someone who wanted the information and you know, would take that information and create his own league.

Reg
Old 12-22-2010, 11:43 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Thumbs up you're right Reg

The more i play solitaire football, the more i like it and it is because of you because i saw your arcticles and comments about playing miniature fooball alone and first time i saw this i said WHAT?!?!?!?!? But the more i understand you thinking about this, the more i like it ans even more than that, i take your thinking when i played Subbuteo soccer (i play solo now) and my custom marble table hockey game (which will come very soon).

Have a nice day and happy holidays to you and your family

Benster from north of the border
Old 12-22-2010, 03:51 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Ben, don't get me....

wrong, I do enjoy competition play too. What I don't like is "cut-throatness", "underhanded play", or "whining" or "a win at all cost" attitude. Some guys have the audacity to think "Oh, Reg don't play because he can't win or he's quits". I say, " The H E L L with those guys and most just want me there because of the energy I bring".

In solitaire, you can still have all that energy and never have to share it with anyone if you do not want to. It depends totally on you at that point. I don't ever want to be one to tell you never to play with others. By all means, continue to play other people, but don't ever let anyone try to make you feel less because you prefer playing alone.

Reg
Old 12-22-2010, 11:25 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Thumbs up i understand your point Reg

..and by the way, i still play one-on-one MF with my wife and friends sometimes and we can fun no problem. What i want to said is that the first time that l learn about solitaire football, i was a little bit suspect about this when you learn about the possibility of solitaire miniature football, the imagination of plays and rules, the freedom of playing when (in fact if possible..) you want to play, even in the middle of the night, that's great.

And like i said earlier, you give me some ideas about solitaire Subbuteo soccer (about my MLS season and world cup) and my custom table hockey game also to be played solo...AND YES, THIS CAN BE PLAYED WITH OTHERS PERSONS.

That's the reason i stopped playing real table hockey tournaments for almost the same reason as yours (too much competivity, some peoples with some strange behaviors, wanted to win at every price..) and focused of some games that can be played alone.

Hope this help and understand my point of view.

Regards

Ben
Old 12-27-2010, 01:24 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Thumbs up Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Rutledge View Post
wrong, I do enjoy competition play too. What I don't like is "cut-throatness", "underhanded play", or "whining" or "a win at all cost" attitude. Some guys have the audacity to think "Oh, Reg don't play because he can't win or he's quits". I say, " The H E L L with those guys and most just want me there because of the energy I bring".

In solitaire, you can still have all that energy and never have to share it with anyone if you do not want to. It depends totally on you at that point. I don't ever want to be one to tell you never to play with others. By all means, continue to play other people, but don't ever let anyone try to make you feel less because you prefer playing alone.

Reg
Starting to build teams for this format.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:21 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default AND LET ME BE THE FIRST

to wish you a HAPPY Birthday, tomorrow, Reg!

Bill
...and when they called for the apostles and had beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus and let them go. So they departed... And daily in the temple and in every house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:55 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Thank you PraiseDaddy but...

how did you know January 4th was my birthday? I did not think I had put that information online??? If I dd, I really did not mean to.

I do thank you for the sentiments as they mean so much more than you will ever know. In the past year, I never thought I would reach 50 years but if all holds up, I will tomorrow.

Thank you,

Reg
Old 01-03-2011, 03:03 PM
MFCA MEMBER

sorry RR, you will get the note tomorrow..........
Old 01-03-2011, 04:27 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Rutledge View Post
how did you know January 4th was my birthday? I did not think I had put that information online??? If I dd, I really did not mean to.

I do thank you for the sentiments as they mean so much more than you will ever know. In the past year, I never thought I would reach 50 years but if all holds up, I will tomorrow.

Thank you,

Reg
Got a notice on FB, but I see you're not on it much, so I dropped it here.
God bless you, bro. Looks like you're gonna make it
...and when they called for the apostles and had beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus and let them go. So they departed... And daily in the temple and in every house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.