Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Solitaire (The all by myself forum)
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 PM
First Round Draft Pick

Default Radical Solitaire Format Idea

In one league, I have a very radical solitaire format that I use that I love. It allows me to play a complete game in only 60- 75 minutes or less, so I can play lots of games, a big schedule, and every play has meaning and scoring potential. Here is some guidelines. In this league there are only running plays, no passing, which allows me to better gage which team is better than the other, strength against strength. Takes my passing skills out of the equation, matching teams against teams on their abilities. Each team gets a kick-off return at the start of each half. The team that returns the kick the farthest of the two halves is awarded 3 points. Teams go each direction once per half, for four total possessions, eight possessions per complete game, that's it. You can double this if you want to, so each team goes each way once per quarter, it will lengthen the game and make it a little more realistic. They begin the initial possession at the spot of the kick-off return. If a team makes a first down in one play, they are awarded 7 points. If they make a first down in two plays, they are awarded 3 points. If the defense stops them from gaining a first down in the two plays, they are awarded 3 points. If a team gets a first down, the other team starts their possession at the same number yard line, BUT at the farthest distance to go. Example, TEAM A returns kick to their own 30 yard line. They run the ball to the 43 yard line, first down- they get 7 points. Defensive team is now the offensive team, goes the other way, but from their own 43 yard line, they now have 57 yards to go to score, not 43 yards. If a team scores an actual touchdown, they are awarded an extra 7 points! So on a first down play that scores a TD, THAT IS A 14 POINT PLAY. On a second down TD, that is a 10 POINT play, 3+7! If a team is stopped short of the first down in two plays, the defensive team gets the ball with the shortest distance to go. Example, TEAM A returns ball to 25 yard line. In two plays they only get 6 yards to the 31 yard line. TEAM B gets 3 points for the defensive stop, and the ball at the 31 yard line, with 31 yards to go to score, a short field! EVERY PLAY MATTERS and counts. After an actual TD you have a regular kick-off. Other rules are that the Defense must have at least 4 ( four ) players a minimum of five yards behind the defensive line. Defensive line must set up 1 yard off the line of scrimage, otherwise they are off-sides. If a game goes to OT, each team gets a kick-off return, the team that gains the most yardage gets 3 points and wins! No actual passing or kicking skills are in play here. It just compares one teams speed and strength against the other, mano - a - mano, BASE VERSUS BASE! RADICAL for sure, but UNIQUE and fun! What do you think about this? CRAZY? IT WORKS for me, I am able to play lots of games, and keeps me into every play, every play matters!

Last edited by NEWYORKGUY : 02-10-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:40 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Very creative and interesting idea. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:10 AM
MFCA MEMBER

That does put a uniqu spin on it!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:28 AM
First Round Draft Pick

Default Thank You!!!

Thank you for the very nice responses to my idea. This is something to consider if you are thinking of running a second or third Solitaire league. It is a way to get more teams and games on your board, as well as giving you a variety in the style of game play that you implement. It can be tweaked and adjusted to your personal taste of course as well. I would love to hear the oppinions of others as well.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:51 AM
MFCA MEMBER

You can have a passing game without any passing skills, with passing simulation, using special sticks. People often think it makes the game slower, it's wrong.

See that vid :

and thanks for sharing your idea
Old 02-11-2011, 07:07 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Interesting idea!

At first glance the points seem a bit confusing but after a few games it probably is not that bad I suppose.

Instead of points could you just track yards gained and actual scores?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:42 AM
MFCA MEMBER

New York Guy do have a web site for your league. League lineup is free.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:33 AM
First Round Draft Pick

Default HI

I don't have a website for my leagues, because to be honest that would be too time consuming, and i want to use my free time to just play the games and record the plays and stats. To be honest, this is really a simple system, and not complex at all, i probably did not explain it clearly enough. A first down on one play= 7 points. A first down in 2 plays= 3 points. To be stopped short of a first down after 2 plays= 3 points for the defense. If a team achieves a first down, the defensive team gets the ball on the same yard line, only on the other side of the field so they have a longer, FURTHER way to go to score. If they are stopped, the Defense gets 3 points, and takes over on that yard line, as close to their scoring end zone as possible, so they have a short field, which is a reward for the stop! If a team scores an actual TOUCHDOWN, ADD 7 points if they do it on FIRST DOWN, ADD 3 points if they do it on SECOND DOWN. A TOUCHDOWN on FIRST DOWN=14 points, A TOUCHDOWN on SECOND DOWN=10 points. A TOUCHDOWN on A KICK-OFF RETURN=10 points. I like the idea of scoring points without getting in the END ZONE. It makes every single play more intense, and more meaningful. The DEFENSE can never relax! Points ARE GIVEN FOR first downs! So many times a team just misses getting only 9 yards in 2 plays, sometimes they barely make the 10 yards, the pressure is on! Your decisions effect the score ON EVERY PLAY! NO WASTED PLAYS! I know about passing sticks, I have used them, just like i play traditional miniature solitaire football. THIS IS SOMETHING DIFFERENT! To mix it up a little. It forces thinking and relies on execution, and you try to set up plays where you confuse your own defense! It comes down to the actual execution, who is stronger than who, who is faster than who? I also vary the offensive line splits, sometimes tight formations, sometimes more open wide formations. It gives the game more variety of plays and execution as well. I think a lot can be adjusted, tweaked and changed using this idea, to better suit you and your likes. What i suggest is.....this is not to replace what you already do, this is another format to try in a secondary or third solitaire league. It will sharpen your play calling skills, and formation skills, because the Defense is set to defend the run, how do you beat them now? You can use a die to assign the ball carrier, which adds a bit more difficulty for the defense, and keeps them more honest too! TRY IT, TWEAK IT, AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK THEN! PLEASE SHARE YOUR IDEAS AND THOUGHTS TOO! THANKS!!!

Last edited by NEWYORKGUY : 02-11-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:21 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default GREAT!!

nice idea.

Take it easy, Benster
Old 02-11-2011, 03:00 PM
First Round Draft Pick

Default THANKS BEN!

BEN, years ago we talked about bringing back electric basketball and an electric hockey game as well. Miggle came out with a soccer game, that could easily be modified to be an NHL hockey game. I thought you were looking into that idea too. If the NHL would sell a reasonably priced license agreement, i think it would help them and the sport of hockey to have an NHL game on the market, along with STIGA the rod hockey game. Collecting the NHL figures would be a big part of it. An electric hockey game i think would be more free flowing than the rod game, and possibly more exciting. What do you think? Thank you also for liking my solitaire football idea as well. Take care, Dave