Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2009, 06:52 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default distance between players and start positions ?

Hi,

I'm currently reading diferent rules sets,making my own ruleset cooking (mixing simulation rules and easy and fast game) and I'm a little confused with the distance measurements between players, since it could be very diferent from a ruleset to another one.

SO I was thinking about one clear rule to manage that : any player has to respect a distance of 1 base lenght or widht with other players.

If the player is on side of another player of his team, he has to be at a base width distance of it.

If the player is behind (on in front) on another player of his team, he has to be at a base lenght distance of it.

What do you think of it ? (remember I play on a 42x22" field)

Should I include linemen in that rule, or use a specific rule for it ?

Another thing : Some rules allows only 7 players on the LOS. On real football, it's just (correct me if I'm wrong) a minimum. How do you manage that ?

thank you for your help. Remember, think it easy for the poor frenchies
Old 10-26-2009, 01:14 PM
MFCA MEMBER

bump !
Old 10-26-2009, 05:39 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default 7 men on line of scrimmage

Dimitri,

Here is a quote form the 2008 Official Rules of the NFL.

"The offensive team must have seven or more men on its line at the snap. All players who are not on line, other than the snap receiver under center, must be at least 1 yard behind it at snap.

I have often wondered about this same thing when I read this rule. I quess it has just become common practice to only line up 7 men on the line of scrimmage.
"All right, now, I don't want them to gain *another yard!* * You blitz…all…night!* If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'm gonna take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!" from Remeber the Titans
Old 10-26-2009, 05:54 PM
MFCA MEMBER

It's one of the dark parts of the rules I'm currently studying. Since we 've got 7 men on the LOS, but if we want to add receivers, we just can add it legally one yard behind the LOS...since 1 yard represents almost nothing even on a 42" board, it's quite the same result...

One other thing I don't understand, is the space I should keep between two figures (for example, between a center and his guards) ? I readed in rules that figures should stay at 1 base lenght behind or front of another one, but nothing for the sides.

I'm confused with the "box" concept too. If I understand correctly, I can place my QB and backs only in a box of 15yards behind the linemen, tackle to tackle width ?

I'm confused ( ) with the orientation and pivots too. IN the MFCA rules, I read :

Quote:
1. The offense is set up using a seven man line and any back-field formation
2. The defensive team is set up in any desired formation.
3. The offensive linemen are given their blocking angles.
4. The defensive team players are turned to the desired direction for “slant-left”, “slant-right”, etc.
5. The ball is placed under the selected ball carrier’s arm, or on the quarterbacks hand or tee. Then,
the offensive backs may be pointed in any direction.
6. The switch is turned on and the play develops.

but a few lines behind :

Quote:
c) After both offense and defense have set up their formations, the offensive coach
can then pivot (angle) the quarterback and running backs in any direction towards, or
parallel to the line of scrimmage. Normally, the defense can pivot the same number of
players any direction it so chooses.

I need a confirmation too : when I start a play, a 1/2 base lenght is a good measure between the 2 teams (from o linemen to d linemen) ?

Last thing : can I pivot my receivers and tight ends ? nowhere I've readed anything on it.

and last last thing I don't understand everything I watch on vids. I've seen vids of running plays, where the running backs make strong runs hitting defense figures and throw defensive lines...if I understand correctly the rules, the running back should be considered as tackled, but on vids the runs seems to be considered legal...

Thanks !

dimitri

Last edited by the french guy : 10-26-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:19 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflfanatic View Post
Dimitri,

Here is a quote form the 2008 Official Rules of the NFL.

"The offensive team must have seven or more men on its line at the snap. All players who are not on line, other than the snap receiver under center, must be at least 1 yard behind it at snap.

I have often wondered about this same thing when I read this rule. I quess it has just become common practice to only line up 7 men on the line of scrimmage.
I have to wonder about that rule. I was watching the Cards-Giants game and the Cards got flagged for having 8 men on the line when the receiver on the same side as the tight end was lined up on the line instead of one yard back. Even Chris Collinsworth commented that the receiver should have known better and lined up a yard back. Doesn't make any sence to me.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:41 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Talking o-line

hi dimitre, most leagues line up thier o-line,as long as the lineman are not touching each other at the snap of the ball and no further than one base width apart,but you as the french commisioner can adopt your own set of rules ,or adopt a variety of rules from each rule set, as long as you have fun ,and thats why we all play.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:04 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default 7 men on the line of scrimmage

The offense must have 7 men on the LOS at all times. The men lined up to the outside are elgible receivers.(On either end) You may have 2 TE's, or 1 TE and 1 WR, or 2 WR split out wide on both sides. That leaves 4 remaining players. They cannot be on the LOS. Of course you have a QB and the 3 remaining players are either flankers or backs. The 2 players on the outside of either side of the LOS and the flankers or backs are elgible to catch a pass. The QB is also elgible to catch a pass as in a flee flicker type play.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:03 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Thank you all !

I just wake up since 1hour, a little too early to dive into rules stuff...

After lunch this afternoon I'll focus on it, and come back here.

Dimitri

edit : any help on that ? I suppose it depends of the tackling rules of each ruleset ?

Quote:
I've seen vids of running plays, where the running backs make strong runs hitting defense figures and throw defensive lines...if I understand correctly the rules, the running back should be considered as tackled, but on vids the runs seems to be considered legal...
thanks

Last edited by the french guy : 10-27-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:30 AM
MFCA MEMBER

having not seen the exact vids that you are speaking of i dont know for sure, but some people play with 'front of base' tackling where the defense can only make a tackle with the front end of their base, so the RB could smash into the side of the defender.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:41 AM
MFCA MEMBER

OK, thank you for the answer. I have to check out the vids I've seen where the situation looked like (for me!) illegal, and I 'll see the "front base tackling" thing...

I'll post my results soon

EDIT : I went to youtube, and you 're right, I believe. When big running play happens, the running back hits rear or side of the defense player's base everytime. For now I didn't find any vid where a RB hits a D base's front and is allowed to continue his run.

A new rules detail I understand now I guess details are important, since here in France we doens' t have ANY reference point for MF playing or rules...So I have to be "square" on my rules and play's knowledge, to try to play a game as closest as possible of the one you 're playing in USA/canada (speaking about basics, not advanced rules).

Last edited by the french guy : 10-27-2009 at 08:57 AM.