Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2008, 10:23 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Running a game of Electric football at my wargaming con in Austin in November

I have an idea and I want to host a game of Electric Football at the annual Mellienium Con (miniatures wargaming convention) held every year in Austin.

I'm sure the organizers wouldn't mind, and this will be an excellent way to spread this hobby. The con gets about 1000+ attendees who are all miniaturist so the transition from that hobby to this one is easy. Just ask me.

Specifically Mike Robertson would you be interested? I could use your experience and help and you live in Austin.

I'm thinking we would allow 4 coaches a game and run 1 to 2 games. I say 4 coaches so that we can get maxium exposure possible and each team can decide if they want to run offence and defense or 1st half and second half. We would have to simplyfy the rules just a little bit as an introduction.

What do you think?

Curtis
TTT
Old 07-13-2008, 11:06 AM
MFCA Member #3

Default Not a new idea...but

I say go for it...I almost had a booth at Gen-Con (largest gaming convention on the planet) last year in Indianapolis, they only had 175,000-250,000 gamers go through in a four day period. I have been pushing this idea for awhile, but never got any support. I say go for it! I used to live in Johnson City Texas and I can tell you first hand...football is a religion in Texas...

Good luck and let me know if I can help in anyway...

Matthew Culp
Editor and Publishing Director of The Tweak the official magazine of the MFCA

The Silverhorse is ready to ride! Geddy up!
Old 07-13-2008, 11:13 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Do It

My suggestion to you is use front of base tackling. It keeps the game moving. If you have them, play on custom boards.

Maurice

The Electric Coach
Old 07-13-2008, 11:54 AM
MFCA MEMBER

I would suggest that whoever the coaches are, that they corroborate with each other and 'set up' plays. Example, if you want to show an offensive run play that goes between the left offensive guard and tackle, have the defensive coach set up his right DT to go inside, while the right DE goes outside, thus creating an easier hole for the RB to hit. Conversely, you could have the offensive coach set his right guard to go inside and his right tackle to go outside, making it easier for the left DE to blast through and sack the QB on a pass play. Nothing gets the guys excited like watching some 'cool' plays, even if they are a little 'staged', sort of like watching the WWE. You'll get more people interested than you will if they're watching a defensive slugfest or a score on every play type of game.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:56 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default texastimetraveler

We in the ACEFL in San Antonio have displayed at hobby convention locally, work out well. We would be interested in helping out. Mr. Robertson is a member of our league, and we have found that having one of Reginald Rutledge’s stadiums really brings a crowd. Call me at 210-380-4562 I'm always willing to help if I can.
John
Old 07-13-2008, 12:03 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Sounds like a plan..........

...........Reg what you think man. I could drive up most definitely in NOV!! Mike sound off bro!!
Old 07-13-2008, 12:29 PM
2badjim

Default Great Idea

Man If U Can Get It Started That Would Be Great Publicity For This Great Hobby Of Ours.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:30 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default i agree

I have already thought that one of Reg's stadiums would be cool. Maybe Reg. would want to go to who knows. As far as players conversing before hand it's not likely because the first time players will meet will be just before we play. This would be an introduction so strick adhearance to the rules would not be as important as providing for a fluid game. In my opinion the DFW EFL league rules would work best because one that's what I play, and two they are the most fluid.

The key here is that EFL is similar to miniature wargaming enough to get the attention, but it adds extra dimensions (the pressure of time and actual physical motion of the miniatures) that will be very new and interesting to this crowd.

I came up with this idea yesturday at the local Dallas wargaming con in Plano called Skirmish. I found myself explaining to everybody why I wasn't around as much and the reason was EFL. So why not introduce all my wargaming friends to my new other hobby miniature football. So many of them were very interested in hearing about it.

Tomorrow I'll send a message to the Millennium organizers.

TTT

Last edited by texastimetraveler : 07-13-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:34 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I am Down!

Let's setup the entire DFW Production and show these guys what goes on. Let's do interviews for them and let them get the feel of being a DFW MF coach. Kurtis, again that's why we love bringing "new blood" like yourself into the league. Great ideas! I am pumped! Whatever you need me to do, I will do it! Whether it's a stage hand or tote something, let's do this. RJ will come to Austin. The boys from San Anton will come! You can present this to the DFW and some may come. But whatever you need me to do, let me know.

Funny thing is, Barry Stephenson and I were just talking about this same thing last week. This may be the start of something fgrand!

Reg
Old 07-13-2008, 12:42 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Sounds good

Sounds like a plan has been set into motion. Tomorrow I'll contact the organizers and discuss this. At that point I'll have a better feel for how this can go down.

I'm excited too.

FYI (and check out the Millenium X photos)
http://www.millenniumcon.com/

TTT