Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2010, 04:10 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Working on my french ruleset : audible questions

Hi,

I'm currently working on my french ruleset. THe goal is to make a "french friendly" ruleset, meaning easy to understand, easy to operate rules.

For that, thinking about the lack of players here, I want to keep the timing simple and realistic. So in my ruleset, you time it like that :

advanced ruleset (tournament finals, league play) :
  • 4x15minutes, clock stopped on out of bound and scores.
  • "Deployement" in 40 seconds, simultaneously. The timer is launched only once each player moved his complete squad on his side of the LOS.
  • Audibles and reajustements

basic ruleset (tournament rows, friendly fast gaming) :
  • 2x20 minutes, clock stopped on out of bound and scores.
  • "Deployement" in 50 seconds, simultaneously. The timer is launched only once each player moved his complete squad on his side of the LOS.
  • Audibles and reajustements

Why using simultaneous deployement ? To keep the game fast and easy.

One thing I don't like in most of rulesets, is to lose time in setting up the speaking timer once for the offense, once for the defense. So one of the guys is focusing on the timer, not the game. Here we does not have enough players to put one on timing. So 3 timers (one offense, one defense, one general timing) is just...boring.

The other reason is that we want to keep the action fast and smooth. Football timing stoppages are something very difficult to understand for a french.

Using a system like that, we need a good audible/adjustement system to keep the game interesting on a strategic point of view.

I was thinking about allowing a specific number of pivots, and a specific numbers of figures moves.

It's where I need your input. THinking about the system I want to use, how many pivots and figures moves (O and D) should we allow to keep the things fair, realistic, and fast ?

I already have my own idea, but I wonder what you "pros" are thinking about it first.

thank you.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:24 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Simultaneous set up

Dimitri,

I like the simultaneous offensive and defensive setup to keep the game moving at a fairly quick pace.

One way to keep it simple, is to just set up your play as it is to be run at the snap of the ball with all players already angled and pivoted in the direction they are to go.

I have read the rules that one coach uses for simutaneous setup and basically the offense and defense set up at the same time and once the offense is setup the coach announces "set" and the defensive coach must immediately stop his setup. If he has a player in his hand then he must immediately place that player on the field.

If the offense does not annouce "set" within the required 40 or 50 seconds then they are flagged for a "delay of game" penalty and if the defense does not immediatly place the player in his hand on the field after the offense declares "set" then they are flagged for the penalty.

Coaches will move and countermove all day long if given the opportunity and that is what slows the game down. Just keep it simple especially for teaching new coaches how to play.
"All right, now, I don't want them to gain *another yard!* * You blitz…all…night!* If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'm gonna take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!" from Remeber the Titans
Old 10-02-2010, 11:25 AM
MFCA MEMBER

thanks for your answer !

It's exactly the way I played last time. But we allowed some audible moves. The question is , what is the best balance between fast palyability and strategic interest ?
Old 10-02-2010, 01:11 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Play like real football!

Hey Dimitri, you guys play like I do. Hey I do not worry with how many pivots. I play simultaneos setup. The offense can shift, man in motion and pivot their men. The defense reacts to the offense during this 50 second segment by moving men, pivoting men, in any direction. This really gives you the feeling of playing football. After the offense annouces "Hut" all pivoting and movement is complete and the play is executed. Of course, pivots are allowed to the defense after a TTQB pass completion. This is fast and exciting. Now, the offense must perform their shifts and pivots in correct order. I like to set my defense up as quickly as possible showing an overload to a side making the offense think they can run to the opposite side, and then I shift my men to the other side just before the offense finishes their set-up! Just some strategy you can use. It is terrific! I wish more coaches would try this system. They would love it! I think the main problem with minature football is that most coaches like to play slow and cover all possibilities. Well football is a game of numbers (out numbering your opponent and gaining an advantage. Real strategy comes in real time, you must make quick decisions. This opens the game up to another level. These are just my opinions. I will post a video in the near future of a game to show how easy and realistic this approach to minature football really is!
Old 10-02-2010, 02:04 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Balance

Quote:
The question is , what is the best balance between fast palyability and strategic interest ?
I don't know the best way to achieve the balance you are wanting but one way to maintain strategic interest in the game is to not place so many restricitions on game play that it limits the offenses ability to be creative and innovative in play calling and execution or limit the defenses ability to defend against a coach who has that ability.

Football is about developing an offensive game plan using the strengths of the offense that can avoid the power of the defense and take advantage of the weaknesses of the defense and conversely the defense has to do the same.
"All right, now, I don't want them to gain *another yard!* * You blitz…all…night!* If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'm gonna take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!" from Remeber the Titans
Old 10-02-2010, 02:29 PM
MFCA MEMBER

thank you both for the help

Quote:
This is fast and exciting. Now, the offense must perform their shifts and pivots in correct order. I like to set my defense up as quickly as possible showing an overload to a side making the offense think they can run to the opposite side, and then I shift my men to the other side just before the offense finishes their set-up! Just some strategy you can use. It is terrific! I wish more coaches would try this system. They would love it! I think the main problem with minature football is that most coaches like to play slow and cover all possibilities. Well football is a game of numbers (out numbering your opponent and gaining an advantage. Real strategy comes in real time, you must make quick decisions. This opens the game up to another level. These are just my opinions. I will post a video in the near future of a game to show how easy and realistic this approach to minature football really is!

I 'll make a try to do 100% realtime stuff to see if I like it

Quote:
I don't know the best way to achieve the balance you are wanting but one way to maintain strategic interest in the game is to not place so many restricitions on game play
It's why I'm thinking about that question of "after clock" pivots/moves possibility. Perhaps your idea of "post snap" pivots can be a good way to keep the thing realtime during setup, but allowing some flexibility and strategic possibilities just after the snap, without using any timing...

I have to test all that. Thank you for the ideas !
Old 10-24-2010, 06:52 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Hi,

New questions I'm working on : the board 's switching.

In my idea, I 'm thinking about that setup, and I'll explain why.

presnap : defense or offense

after snap :
  • for running play : defense operate the board, until tackle, yards gain stop, or OOB happens
  • for passing play :
    1. offense operates the board for WRs route. Then, when he choose, or after a limited amount of time (I have to test it deeper to figure how much time), he stops the board, and clearly announce the receiver (immediatly/less than 2secs).
    2. then (I'll detail passing simulation in my ruleset, but I'll allow other passing methods), after passing simulation steps (angles, measuring, etc...) are done and ball marker posed on the field, DEFENSE operates the board, until tackle, yards gain stop, or OOB happens

For now, we always play OFFENSE = operates the board. I'm not happy with that system.

First, because of the lack of interaction for the defense during game. A feel of "punishement" to be in defense position. You almost do nothing but just put your formation on the field, and wait. It's not my taste, because I love defense strategy game.

Then, because on defense (we play FOB tackling, and I want to stick to that unique system), you sometimes see a tackle and the offense, even if he does not want to cheat, is focused on his run or WR routes, and does not see it and so does not switch off the board.

If the defense operates the board (once offence coach has done his stuff), the d coach will be focused on tackles, and will be able to stop the board on the tackles or even just before them and explain the situation to his opponent.

More interaction, more fun, more fair, and easier to manage without any referee.

what do you think of these ideas ?

Last edited by the french guy : 10-24-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:19 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Defense operate switch

The way you describe is the way most do it. Defense operates switch unless the play is a pass play in which case the offense operates the switch until a receiver gets open to attempt the pass.

Of course, if you are ever fortunate to have a referee, then the referee would operate the switch.

Last edited by eflfanatic : 10-24-2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-24-2010, 06:28 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I didn't know that ! I was thinking I was inventing a new way of playing
Old 10-24-2010, 07:30 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default At least your thinking

Hey, at least you are thinking.

One thing that just about all rules I have read from the original creators of electric football games (i.e.. Tudor, Coleco, Gotham, and Munro) all included a basic way to play their game that required a basic knowledge of football rules. They also encouraged players to create variations to make the game more exciting.

I also collect football board games which also suggest that the people who play these games have as a prerequisite, a basic knowledge of actual football rules.

I think for the most part, we here in the US who play electric football, have a distinct advantage over you or the majority of people in Europe or other foreign countries, in that we grew up watching football on TV, playing backyard football or playing organized football from a very early age.

I know that because my Dad was such a hugh football fan, that even before I had an electric football game, I had numerous football board games that I played hours upon hours.

Basically, I say all that just to encourage you to keep thinking. I really hope that you are successful in bringing the game to an international level.

And, heck, if you create a NEW WAY TO PLAY, maybe we will join you!!! You certainly have brought customizing figures to a new level.