Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2009, 12:10 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default how do you manage stoppage ?

Hi,

I' m finishing to prepare my teams for my first game, learning the basic MFCA rulebook too and buzzball passing simulation rules too.

I'm wondering myself about stoppage. I want to integer stopage in my play, but in the simpliest way possible, with only one stop (stop for pass, but also one stop to react in case of a run play). What figure can I change orientation, when can I stop (for pass play, it 's obvious, but for run play?), etc, etc...

So if you have any advise for one stop action rules, thank you

Dimitri
Old 10-23-2009, 01:26 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default here is what I do

I am sure others have more 'advanced systems'. I am still trying to figure out how many stops i like to play with, but here is what I am doing at the moment.

I play a quick stop for 'the snap': the board goes for ~.5 sec just to get the 2 lines engaged and receivers started. "Run" or "Pass" is declared by the offense.

then the offense can run the board until they want to stop the board. (this really emphasizes getting pressure on the QB to make the board stop early to avoid a sack)

For Pass: the board is stopped when the offense wants and the pass placement sticks are placed in front of the designated receiver. If the receiver is turned/ angled to get to where the ball is placed then the defense can reposition 1 defender as well. Once the player makes it to the ball marker and makes the reception the defense can reposition all unengaged players to try and make the tackle (the receiver can be repositioned at the catch if you wish). If the receiver passes the marker, let the board run until the receiver is ~1 base length past to see if a fluke (immaculate) reception might happen or an INT. If the receiver can run straight to where the ball is placed and is not repositioned then the defense can't reposition either.

For Run: the board is stopped when the Offense wants and the offense can re-angle the runner and 1 other unengaged player (try to get some extra blocking) and the defense can reposition all unengaged players to try to tackle.

Any suggestions as to how I could improve my own 'system' would be appreciated!
Old 10-23-2009, 01:35 PM
MFCA MEMBER

thank you !

it's pretty much what I was thinking about, except I didn't think about 1 snap stop.

Just a few things :

is it usual in stoppage rules to declare the game (run or pass) AFTER the snap ? does it make any advantages for offense to declare the play so late ?

is any move or orientation is allowed after snap stop ?

If I declare play type before the snap, maybe the snap stop become useless ?
Old 10-23-2009, 01:53 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default hmmm

I see what you mean about the snap... initially I had several stops through out the play and during the snap stop I had rules regarding selecting receivers that would be allowed to be repositioned at subsequent stops ("route runners"). It all became very cumbersome and the game was complicated and SLOW, so I have been trying to scale back.

As long as all audibles (if you play with them) are done prior to the declaration of run and pass then the snap is not really necessary.

I also had some concern with the short burst on the longevity of the vintage motor.

I think I will play with no snap next time!
Old 10-23-2009, 02:57 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Try this

I'm assuming you guys are speaking of solitaire play. When I played it was determined before the play whether it's a run or pass. I then did a quick on/off to simulate the snap of the ball. At that point in time I can pivot my running backs and unengaged blockers (see thread on intelligent o-lineman) on offense and anyone who is unengaged on defense that have not crossed the line of scrimmage. This allows running backs to run towards holes, place a block, flair out of the backfield etc. This also allows linebackers to fill holes, drop back in coverage, swing out to the flats to cover backs out of the backfield, redirect for a blitz, etc. I play bump and run coverage on the outside receivers only. After the quick snap my corners run up to bump the receiver (this helps to throw them of their routes like in real football). I then have to turn the corners to run with the WR or release the WR to cover an area or blitz.

I know this sounds like a lot after the initial snap but I had it down to a few seconds in making my adjustments on both sides of the ball. I then turn the board on to run or pass. On pass plays I run it until someone is open. Not easy as I can adjust players to blitz after that initial snap.

Last edited by detroitchild : 10-23-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:16 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
I'm assuming you guys are speaking of solitaire play

Not particulary, why ?

Quote:
At that point in time I can pivot my running backs and unengaged blockers (see thread on intelligent o-lineman) on offense and anyone who is unengaged on defense that have not crossed the line of scrimmage
Is it to avoid too easy sack ?
Old 10-23-2009, 04:25 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by the french guy View Post
Not particulary, why ?

Just curious. Most guys use stoppages in either solitaire or MPFL styles of play.

Is it to avoid too easy sack ?
Yes. It is usually your loopers that cross the line of scrimmage with blazing speed. Tweaked correctly, the can get to certain spots in the backfield to disrupt plays without having to angle them after the snap. Trust me, I've had PLENTY of sacks or tackles in the backfield without having to turn those guys.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:43 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Just curious. Most guys use stoppages in either solitaire or MPFL styles of play.
In fact (I speak for myself), I'm not searching for nothing fancy or complex as MPFL :o , it's just since we have to stop at least one time for buzzball pass simulation, I was thinking about using stoppage for run play too in the same idea of adding a little realism and zone/ball play for both offense and defense....

For the running O game, I was particulary thinking about RB "hooks" (I don't know if the translation is good in english, what I mean is that the RB changes his stance and run direction very fast to fake the defense opponents). Allowing the runners to change of direction could simulate this, and can "save" the defense too for reorganize a little. Now, I know that that ideas are not too crazy since some coaches are using similar rules in their own games.

I particulary like the line of scrimmage point you gave us, BTW, and I 'll try to integrate this point in my own rules cooking.

Last things I have to see are :

simulation rules for punts and fieldgoals (yes, I don't want to use ANY "manual skill" tool for playing)

the timing process. I think I'll go for a simulated timing, with a number of plays by quarter. Since I will play without referees, I want to not have to look on or use the clock (in table soccer/subbuteo, I already have difficulties to use the clock...), at least for beginning.

And if everything goes OK on the first games, I'll add fumbles and penalties with a dice system.

Quote:
Trust me, I've had PLENTY of sacks or tackles in the backfield without having to turn those guys.
I followed the final game of the college open run 2009, I was quite suprised to see such a good defense game. Plenty of sackes and big hits.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:46 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Kicking cards

Dmitri,

Probably the easiest, "non-manual" way to handle kicking is to use the Kicking Cards by EFLfanatic. They can be used for kick-offs, & punts (and I believe field goals though I never used them for that). They are as fair as you can get. Using these and the passing sticks will remove the use of the TTQB if that is not your flavor.

Don
Old 10-23-2009, 06:27 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Yes, I 've seen that. i'll see if I do my own rules cooking, or if I go for a cards package from EFLfanatic.