Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Solitaire (The all by myself forum)
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2009, 06:28 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default The NFLGTSL Draft: Youtube Video

Old 12-06-2009, 06:28 PM
MFCA YOUTH MEMBER

I enjoyed watching this, but I don't really get how the draft will work. You pick out a handful of bases for each team and then tweak them??? You have to get lucky that you have good bases?

Taylor
Old 12-07-2009, 07:58 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default The Common Draft is...

a crap shoot Taylor. There have been so many first and second round bust in the NFL that it can not be looked at as an exact science. So, when you are dealing with a solitaire league that has 32 teams and more than 1000 bases (regular draft bases and supplemtal bases), time is of the essence!

Because the league is done like this, every team has equal opportunity to finding jewels and duds. That's where over time, tweaking will be important (which will help me improve my skill in that area).

But because I have to run a business, run a home and family, and do other things, I never will have the time to sit and concentrate my efforts on making teams the very finest they can be. I know what it takes to win in the Shootout style but because this does not necessarily take a high importance, some great players on teams may not be able to "take it to the house" on every play. It's more important for me to make sure all teams have equal access to the same method, which is what the draft was.

This league will be used to get ideas of what I would want in a competitive league that I would start if I ever decided to play again. Certain things I like about solitaire which allows the total freedom of experimentation is important to what I do.

So you will see players who don't run the field in 3 seconds or others who may be ready to make a play but decide to go the other way. This is all relative. If you really think about the NFL in a sense, every team does not have superstar players. They are sprinkled throughout the league. You've got your worker bees and privileged bees. That is the concept of the draft, pulling potential superstars from each stash that I pull out of the draft.

It should be fun. The Raiders and Chiefs just got fitted with their bases. Now they become athletes and the games can be played pretty shortly.

Reg
Old 12-07-2009, 08:06 AM
MFCA MEMBER

kool. we are waiting for the games to begin.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:19 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Looks like fun, Reg

I'm still putting things together. I don't have the desired inventory yet, but I find the anticipation and the journey can be as much fun or more than the
fruition of the "dream".
...and when they called for the apostles and had beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus and let them go. So they departed... And daily in the temple and in every house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:49 PM
MFCA YOUTH MEMBER

I understand better, but what is the supplementary draft?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default The Supplemental Draft was something...

popularized in the mid-90's. This is a draft for players that were not a part of the regular NFL draft, for instance underclassmen who wanted to come out early. This was more of a "high end" draft of players who had potential first-round placement.

One of the most famous ones of the supplemental pick of Steve Walsh from "The U" by the Dallas Cowboys. Also, I think Bernie Kosar of "The U" was a supplemental draft pick as well.

By that same token, we do this for the NFLGTSL to increase the talent pool. For my league, I am taking bases that my company had produced in the late '90s that were not up to my specs. However, some of those bases have some unreal talent and because this league is so big, I want to exhaust all my resources to make a good league.

So I add these bases to the mix. For each team, they will get 700 extra bases of FF.Net bases. If I can find one legitimate great base from those, that is fine. But it gives me a chance to do some after-hours tweaking and it supplements the team's regular stash of bases.

It's just a method of getting extra talent.

Reg