Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 11:30 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Time is a huge factor......

.....see my latest league update: http://www.miniaturefootball.com/for...ad.php?t=20768

Can I hijak a hijacked post here?

I have a software program, for my highschool teams real games, that I also use to track all my MF game stats including time. Some of the reports it will generate can also be seen on the above post.

I use 8:00 minute quarters. Plays on which the clock in a real game would keep running expire one minute. Plays on which the clock in a real game would stop running expire 30 seconds. Each team gets three timeouts per half. A time out cuts 20 seconds off the amount of time that would otherwise expire.

I just looked back and my last three games have had 57, 53, and 45 plays. This is a much smaller number of plays than you guys are getting but my stats are comparable.

It still takes me probably four hours though to play a game. Entering stats every snap, taking a few pictures, and having to stop more than I'd like to slow it down though.

To bring it back to the topic which originally hijaked this thread......I wonder how much passing charts would help?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:33 PM
MFCA MEMBER

For me, using a passing chart would eliminate time used to get in position to throw the pass, to put the ball on the TTQB properly, and to line up the pass, and to throw the pass. It also would eliminate any question as to whether I hit the pass or not.

So I'm betting that on each pass play, this would save 30-40 seconds. My next game, Syracuse vs. Clemson, I'm going to run 40-minute running clock quarters with the passing and FG charts, still doing the 5-minute end-of-half stoppage rules, and see where the number of snaps end up at. I'm betting it's going to be similar.

I'm going to use the team-specific passing charts I made up, along with the yardage and rare play innovations that Mike and I came up with. I'm very curious to see how it plays out.

Ed
Old 02-08-2011, 11:46 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Let us know.....

how it goes.

I used to hate using the TTQB as well because I couldn't ever see if the ball hit let along all the time I spent looking for the darn thing after I missed. I looked into stick passing for that reason and found the ATTAC system. The spinner target elminated seeing if it hit problem. White balls solved the other problem. They seem to work better and are easier to find
Old 02-09-2011, 01:40 AM
MFCA MEMBER

LOL not at all. This has me thinking a bit about the passing numbers you came up with, and researching what the highest completion percentages have been etc.

My only question is with the frequency of the rare play chart coming up. You have a 1 in 36 chance of a rare play coming up, and I'm wondering if you might be better served that instead of rolling the two six sided dice as is normal in the box switching those out for 10 sided dice, doing something like this..

Double 1s: Fumble
Double 2s: Fumble
Double 3s: Intercepted
Double 4s: Minor Penalty
Double 5s: Minor Penalty
Double 6s: Fumble
Double 7s: Minor Penalty
Double 8s: Intercepted
Double 9s: Major Penalty
Double 0s: Intangible Chart

My thinking is if you are going to have a percentage based passing for complete and incomplete like you have set there, you shouldn't need to have incomplete passes in the dice roll. Also I added the major penalty. The intangibles and major penalties only have a 1 in 100 chance of coming up on a shake which would make it a rarer occurrence but still possible.

Basically the other thing this changes is the frequency of how often a doubles result is rolled. with the six siders it is a one in six chance, now it's a one in ten chance of something occurring on a play, and each one of these options has a 1% chance of coming up, in the case of fumbles as an example it is a 3% chance of happening on any given play.

Thoughts?

Check out my Flames and Stampeders blogs at www.prosportsblogging.com

Last edited by Hoop27 : 02-09-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 AM
MFCA MEMBER

I like this. After 30 plus years of kicking field goals anextra points with a good football and kicker its hard to miss in solitaire. Using dice would be fun.
Where would I find 10 sided dice.

I use the fumble rule that if your tackled by two defense players at same fumble. Roll two six sided dice even goes off odd to defense ball down at that point. In 80 plays game I usually get two a game. I don't know if I want to add fumblewith dice yet working on that. I will start Field Goals and PATs because more are missed in real life that in the WCFA. My league is more run. I do use the passing sticks. That way I can't play favorites.

I also looking at adding penalties besides holding and pass interference. So reg chart will be added also.
I want to keep the game fun.

But i will be willing to try.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:30 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I am considering using dice more.......

.......if for no other reason than to save time by getting away from the TTQB, but for now I just like using it and I have no pressure to finish anything by a certain time so...........

I do use dice for play calling though and may have to go to a larger die there as well. Since my teams mimic real highschool teams the playbooks very from 12 plays to as many as 30+. That's just the offense which is still growing and I have started developing defensive play calling with dice as well.

So, some teams use as many as four of five dice to call a play. Two problems with this. As more plays are developed it decreases the odds greatly of certain plays being called, but what is more frustrating to me is that without developing a large number of different charts it does not allow for game situation play calling and in game adjustments; at least not without me staying impartial.

I have the plays listed based on four different down and distance senarios and am happy with how that is working so far. But, in my current game, one team's line is just dominating the oher side. The other side needs to change up it's play calling which would require me to stop and realign the plays based on the likely results of the dice. I'm not sure how to deal with that one yet. Right now I have one 'choice' option as a play call that allows me to choose the play they will run. Other than that it's completely random based the probablility of the dice roll which I have aligned with that team's tendancies in real life.

Thoughts?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:39 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Homework

I am home sick today so I decided to do some homework on these charts. I have used my charts for years updating them and changing them when I think of smething.

Length of game- I have that Miggle electric scoreboard so I play 15:00 quarters.

The clock stops for:

Change of possession- kickoffs, punts and turnovers
Any scoring play.
Penalties.
Incomplete passes and runs out of bounds only inside of 2 mionutes in the first half and the final 5 minutes of the game.

I also stop the clock briefly after a completion or interception to align the the defenders toward the ball carrier.

It takes a little over 2 hours 15 minutes to play a standard game without keeping stats after every play. Keeping the stats adds about a half an hour more. That is still around 3 hours a game.

I went back to my last 3 Super Bowls where I did write down the result of every play. The number of plays per game were 70, 74 and 82 plays.

I played 2 games today using the new pass charts.As for the new passing chart I roll 2 standard 6 sided dice with the dots before I throw the 10 siders. If no doubles came up I proceded to roll the 2 10 sided dice and tok the number to the coorisponding pass chart. In the two games the double ones came up 4 times. Double 2s- 0 Double 3s- 1 Double 4s- 2 Double 5s-1 and the biggie the double 6s forthe intangible chart came up once in each game. Results were a bad exchange fumble with return and the other was an incomplete pass.

I am going to continue to use this system tweaking it a little bit as I go along and I will pass along the results.

Mike V.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:25 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Check locally for a specialty gaming store. They will likely carry board games, D&D, warhammer, magic the gathering cards. (most likely place) Or you can always get some off of ebay.

that is where you will find 10 siders. and no they are not expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
I like this. After 30 plus years of kicking field goals anextra points with a good football and kicker its hard to miss in solitaire. Using dice would be fun.
Where would I find 10 sided dice.

I use the fumble rule that if your tackled by two defense players at same fumble. Roll two six sided dice even goes off odd to defense ball down at that point. In 80 plays game I usually get two a game. I don't know if I want to add fumblewith dice yet working on that. I will start Field Goals and PATs because more are missed in real life that in the WCFA. My league is more run. I do use the passing sticks. That way I can't play favorites.

I also looking at adding penalties besides holding and pass interference. So reg chart will be added also.
I want to keep the game fun.

But i will be willing to try.

Check out my Flames and Stampeders blogs at www.prosportsblogging.com
Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I like these ideas keep it up.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:47 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default You guys really have on your thinking caps!

I haven't played solitaire since the 80's but the charts would seem like the way to go.

You guys actually did research as well to come up with more realistic numbers.

I'm just thinking out loud here, and maybe this would be too anal (can I say that ) All your calculations are as a whole, but do you care that Peyton would pass better than the browns QB, whoever that would be. Like if you are playing with a great passer, should his chances/chart be different than that of a bad passer?

I'm a TTQB all the way, but I always like seeing other techniques. I think that attak passing system is awesome as well!!!

the F.O.T.H. is Nat'l