Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which should be the "official" weight limit for miniature football?
3.3 grams 16 25.00%
4.0 grams 48 75.00%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2010, 06:42 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Let's make it easy for them. The official weight limit is 4.0 There are other weight classes that you can play by, but 4.0 is where the MFCA recommends that you start

It doesn't make it easy to start, believe me ! The guy who just bought a miggle gameboard set, or found an used tudor set will have anything but fab5 teams and standard rookie bases and ttc bases. FAR from the 4.0 grams limit.

SO he will have to buy a precision scale (= more money spent, more work before start playing, more technical confusion since the beginner will discover that the stuff he bought is not "standard" ), and find how to weight all his athletes to match the "standard" 4.0grams (base lead additions, or new MF or jennings teams... = more money spent). And if after that, he want to paint the teams, add facemasks, he will have to setup the weight another time to fit the paint, modelling flock, facemask and whatever he added to the figure.

ANd what about people coming in the hobby buying Diamond products ? Will you tell them that their diamond fig+diamond base combo is not "standard" ? You see what I mean.

When I started a few month ago, I just had some iron men fab5 teams, a few ttc and rookie miggle bases. I started to add customs, buy a precision scale and stuff like that after a while. But I believe I played my first MF months outside of the 4.0 grams "standard"

It's the weakness of a unique standard. Of course, we always can use the other weight classes, but you'll see that it will confuse beginners, and depreciate veterans choices too or even some MF current (or future) products.

Last edited by the french guy : 02-19-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:11 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default well said...Dimitri

Dimitri,

I have been saying what you just said for years, .........but they do what they want to do. It is this madness that makes me, a manufacturer, just pull back from coming out with new products.

People are making statements that make no sense what so ever about a "standard"
Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Standards

I am going to go ahead and post a recent proposed standards that I sent to the MFCA Board of Directors. Since my email got no responses from the majority or the Board of Directors and it does pertain to this discussion.

George, all I am trying to do with this is to set some standards for manufacturers like yourself as a guide for developing future products for miniature football.

Realize this is merely a proposal and my own personal ideas. Nothing has been adopted at this point. I would like everyone's feedback on this, preferably by PM, but if you feel that you need to make comments publicly then please do so.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Proposed Standards.pdf (116.5 KB, 0 views)
"All right, now, I don't want them to gain *another yard!* * You blitz…all…night!* If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'm gonna take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!" from Remeber the Titans
Old 02-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Coach

Default .

I think a player weighs what he weighs. If you have a light figure, don't put him on the line, etc. Let the players be the weight they are without adding anything. I don't understand people adding lead tape and other things to their figures. Does a cornerback wear a weight jacket so he can weigh as much as a lineman? Let the guys be what they are without adding anything. Not really hard to figure out. I'll take a good looking detailed figure over a heavier figure any day.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Coach

Default I agree....

Throw this topic in the trash

Vincent
Old 02-19-2010, 09:32 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Exclamation 3.3 or 4.0

This has been interesting, following this discussion its important for one reason, level playing field. The whole weight debate is about leveling the playing field no matter what u play with. 3.3 is usually associated with stock products while 4.0 which has always been associated with ff.net & customizer friendly weight class. Obviously if 3.3 was chosen that would slow the boom of newbies creating there own teams, which is essential considering the growing costs of custom work, also stunting creativity, by dictating weight that cant be met customizing, goodby green stuff to heavy. 4.0 seems to me to be the best, because it allows stock teams that are light to compete with the heaviest custom teams not exceeding 4.0, by means stated here, I bet I never chop my stands again to play in a torny. The real importance of clarifing this is that U no longer have to build a new team every time U travel, of course your local leagues can continue as is, but when U travel U know your team is legal. I think that would also promote participation because now your league team is your travel team imagine that.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megawattz View Post
This has been interesting, following this discussion its important for one reason, level playing field. The whole weight debate is about leveling the playing field no matter what u play with. 3.3 is usually associated with stock products while 4.0 which has always been associated with ff.net & customizer friendly weight class. Obviously if 3.3 was chosen that would slow the boom of newbies creating there own teams, which is essential considering the growing costs of custom work, also stunting creativity, by dictating weight that cant be met customizing, goodby green stuff to heavy. 4.0 seems to me to be the best, because it allows stock teams that are light to compete with the heaviest custom teams not exceeding 4.0, by means stated here, I bet I never chop my stands again to play in a torny. The real importance of clarifing this is that U no longer have to build a new team every time U travel, of course your local leagues can continue as is, but when U travel U know your team is legal. I think that would also promote participation because now your league team is your travel team imagine that.
Yep. What he said.

I think some of you guys have it wrong about the "standard" it does not relate to the type of figures you have but the maximum weight. The stock figures are great and my favorite figs are the straight arm corners and BB Mr. Everthing and they are ALL starters on my team, and not every player is 4.0

But there is so much more you can do with a max weight.

More is better.

More choices = more creativity = more fun

It has worked well in competition and I believe it should be the new standard for advanced competition. No one is saying that you can only get figures from one manufacturer. That's just stupid. Being able to customize your players and adjust their weight is an essential part of the modern game. 3.2 grams as a LIMIT is just too restrictive and for competition I just think its a thing of the past.

Last edited by Treks1 : 02-19-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:57 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megawattz View Post

I love this idea. Right now making a team for Dixie 4.1 , Beltsville Bash, 3.3 , CBSMF 4.0 BAMA BLAST, UNLIMITED FOR LINEMEN. So my work is heavy keeping buying figures to make weight for different leagues or tournament.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:21 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I agree with Treks1

Quote:
I think some of you guys have it wrong about the "standard" it does not relate to the type of figures you have but the maximum weight. The stock figures are great and my favorite figs are the straight arm corners and BB Mr. Everthing and they are ALL starters on my team, and not every player is 4.0

But there is so much more you can do with a max weight.

More is better.

More choices = more creativity = more fun

It has worked well in competition and I believe it should be the new standard for advanced competition. No one is saying that you can only get figures from one manufacturer. That's just stupid. Being able to customize your players and adjust their weight is an essential part of the modern game. 3.2 grams as a LIMIT is just too restrictive and for competition I just think its a thing of the past.
"All right, now, I don't want them to gain *another yard!* * You blitz…all…night!* If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'm gonna take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!" from Remeber the Titans
Old 02-19-2010, 10:24 PM
MFCA MEMBER

What a waste of topic space, I feel like we set the wayback machine to 2005.

I play and love 4.0, but the standard should stay at 3.2/3.3 DONE!

You basically have:

3.2/3.3

Unlimited Weight

What else do you need? All this setting standards talk is ridiculous.

We already have them.

We have all the weight classes we need to cover everyone, the figures are basically in the same scale give or take.

What a waste of time.

Instead of focusing on scales that are not needed, we should focus on recruiting materials, instructional DVDs, league building packages, sponsorships and advertising deals, etc...

Los Angeles...making EF history for over a decade.