Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 12:26 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default MONETARY WINNINGS IN MINIATURE FOOTBALL

Coaches,

Would it be acceptable if leagues awarded winners monetary winnings for superbowl and championships wins. IT IS NOT GAMBLING. I REPEAT, IT IS NOT GAMBLING !!!!!!!!!!. Fantasy football leagues all accross the united states play for cash prizes. This is in thousands of offices and clubs. Golf paticipants win cash prizes after there tourney's. All of these gameshows on tv dish out cash prizes. The price is right, who wants to be a millionaire., etc etc. Trophies are OK but it still feels like something is missing. I think they win cash prizes on the espn poker show. remember the show (THE SUPERSTARS) that came on channel seven, They won various cash prizes.

take a note from the fantasy football world. When the time comes to play again, men and women pay there money to form a league and the winners get the money. it's just that simple. I am the commissioner of a league at my office and i give out a trophy and cash prizes of hundreds of dollars to the winners every year. YOU MEAN WE ARE NOT MATURE ENOUGH TO DO THE SAME THING.

Where would the prize money come from- just like the fantasy fooltball, the entry fee to play. If leagues raised there league fee's to let's say $75 to $100 dollars per coach. The cash prizes at the end would be pretty nice. If coaches say $75 to $100 is too much, well, you will get it back at the end of the season if you, well, win the championship. Just think of it as a investment in yourself and your talent to get your league fee back and some at the end of the year. Wouldn't it be nice to be the superbowl champ and walk home with a $ 700 to $2000 prize for being the best coach that season.
I think we can all do something like this.

So, im curious, what exactly is the cost to operate a league per year.?
Exactly, what cost what. ?
If your in a league that has a place to play free of charge, that's more money that can go into the winners pocket.
Coaches may say, others may cheat knowing there is a cah prize at the end of the rainbow. This is where the commisioners come in to play.

1)make sure no two coaches ref there own games

2) if there is a critical ttqb pass to be made, make sure you have 6 to 8 eyes on the play. Also, make sure the ref has a hand held magnifying glass lon the receiver to see if the ball hits.

3) have fresh eyes viewing whether or not a players made a tackle or picked up yardage via a hand held magnifying glass (ON ALL CRTICAL CLOSE PLAYS)

**Things like that will keep things honest as much as it can !!

***REMEMBER, INCREASED DUES SHOULD BE LOOKED AT AS AN INVESTMENT IN YOURSELF. LOOK AT IT LIKE A STOCK, YOUR INVESTING $100 NOW TO MAKE $2000 LATER IF THE COMPANY DOES WELL. GUESS WHO'S THE COMPANY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

MANTARAYDRE
Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 PM
MFCA MEMBER

We used to.
League fees were $20 per team and we allowed up to 4 teams per coach . I think the winner received something around $200 and the runner up received $75.
I know some coaches will say that having a payout might promote cheating , but I never thought about anything other than playing the game , but I can only speak for myself.

Last edited by jeff : 04-29-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:48 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default If you play for money

you are opening the door for cheating. As we all know some coaches can get heated over a bad call. Now put money into the mix and you might have fights and you may lose a friend over it.

Brian
Old 04-28-2009, 01:12 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default CHEATING.

COACHES,

NO ONE WORRIES ABOUT CHEATING IN FANTASY FOOTBALL. WHY, BECAUSE ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SET YOUR TEAM IN THE COMPUTER EVERY WEEK. So i think what we are saying is we don't trust each other. if that is the case, i think we need to forget the coach AND START WHAT KIND OF PERSON/MAN YOU HAVE PLAYING IN YOUR LEAGUE. If your playing with a coach who may have secret intentions of cheating depending on the stakes, THEN I THINK THAT PERSON/MAN NEEDS TO GO. I think each league wan'ts to recruit coaches with character. Levell shelton told me at the miggle in baltimore " character is what you do when no one is looking" . If a coach has to cheat because there is money at the end of the rainbow, he really should not be part of a league. That is the same as if he knew where the envelope with the money was, during the middle of the season, WOULD HE STEAL THE ENVELOPE OR JUST LEAVE IT WHERE HE SEE'S IT.

MANTARAYDRE
Old 04-28-2009, 01:48 PM
mwhite212

Just my two bits. But money changes everything. I think playing for product support is a better idea. Say the dues go in to buy a custom field cover or a custom board if the league is big enough. It's easy to see how somone down on their luck could reationlize to themselves that by cheating they really aren't hurting anyone....and let's not fool ourselves. There ARE different levels dishonesty. Most people on this forum may have copied a video or a CD, but they wouldn't walk into a store and steal one off the rack.

My point is that otherwise honest folks may be tempted if placed in the right circumstances. Keep the game a fun hobby. There have been several posts on this forum with people seeming to want to "professionlize" what is essentially and EXTREMELY niche hobby. I just find that a bit unsettling.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:41 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Agreed, ....

nice post Mwhite...
Old 04-28-2009, 02:45 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default The money

Until this year, my little thing to get me thru the summer was fantasy baseball. Did quite well in some large 16-20 team leagues. Even commished the last couple years. What was frustrating was that folks that weren't doing
well had a tendency to bail. Last year, we upped the ante for the entry fee in hopes that the bigger investment would keep interest. But people still bailed when the goin' got tough. That and a DL list longer than my driveway kept me away this yr. Anyway. my instincts tell me that in this hobby, prize money wouldn't work. Some may feel that it would give the hobby more credibility, but I tend to agree that those who tend to get "excitable" would
probably become moreso, and therefore cancel out any perceived benefit of cash tournaments. From what I've heard here, guys play because they love it, but character is even a more important issue. I applaud this. However, to borrow an idea from the USGA, how about giving exemptions for entry fees to those who place in the top 3 spots.
Tennis and golf have a "grand slam". Why not pick or vote on what would be the MAJOR tournaments thru the year, and win, place, and show(oops, HORSE RACING?) are exempt for the following year.
...and when they called for the apostles and had beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus and let them go. So they departed... And daily in the temple and in every house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 PM
MFCA MEMBER

i have not read any of the post, but i would bet i am along the lines of what has been said.

Money changes things, in the fact that cats would do anything for money. Also, money makin, is in itself, an ego thing. And many cats in this hobby, when it comes to playing, have egos. we dont need to enhance that, tease that, or invite more.

Fantasy football, is controlled by a web site and the factors are stats from real players. Their is some skill in it, but most of it is pure guess work and luck. the good ones at it, just know how to guess better, which often leads to the good luck. this i know for sure.

Money will ruin this hobby, as it usually ruins everything when abused.

Last edited by HOOP : 04-29-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:40 PM
MFCA MEMBER

As many have said, this would absolutely ruin this hobby.

Los Angeles...making EF history for over a decade.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:03 PM
davidmc

Won't work unless we have paid refs