Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2009, 07:17 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default linemen spacing, pivots/angles ???

Hi,

So...I played my 2 first games, and the biggest issue (or to be more exact, the question I cannot answer for now, due to my lack of knowledge) is the linemen positioning.

For now, we play with that rule of position (we play on a 42x22" field) :

1base width between the linemen
3 yards (= about 1/2base lenght) lenght between linemen and QB, running backs, etc...
pivots/angles allowed (on first placing sequence) for the linemen

It's working, but...I'm not confortable with. First, it's quite ugly and messy to see that linemen angled. It makes the LOS vision difficult to control too.

Some people advised me to turn bases dials instead of angle the linemen themselves...but in a timed squad placing, if I have to turn each dial...it's quite impossible in my opinion. And this turning dial system it forces you to use only dialed bases (so you can't use rookie bases or DDB bases wich are good for strenght).

the last solution I see is...simply to not allow any pivot or angle to the linemen.

In one word, I don't know what should be the best.

secondary, the spacing : the 3 yards lenght is good to avoid stacking...it's what I readed in some rulesets.

But sometimes, it should be great to be more compact (for example, to open holes for runners). Instinctively, sometimes we should make more compact placings and strategies. But since our ruleset doesn't allow it...we can't do it for now.

My goal is to make the game playable, but also quite realistic and "good looking". Of course, our ruleset is not burned in stone. Any help is welcome

Dimitri
Old 11-17-2009, 10:51 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default here are a couple of point to consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by the french guy View Post
Hi,

So...I played my 2 first games, and the biggest issue (or to be more exact, the question I cannot answer for now, due to my lack of knowledge) is the linemen positioning.

For now, we play with that rule of position (we play on a 42x22" field) :

this should be the normal case for the size field
3 yards (= about 1/2base lenght) lenght between linemen and QB, running backs, etc...

most of the time it is a base lenth between the O-line and the QB... same doe Defense to be a base lenth from the back of the D-line
pivots/angles allowed (on first placing sequence) for the linemen
mostly no pivots on O-linemen.

It's working, but...I'm not confortable with. First, it's quite ugly and messy to see that linemen angled. It makes the LOS vision difficult to control too.

Some people advised me to turn bases dials instead of angle the linemen themselves...but in a timed squad placing, if I have to turn each dial...it's quite impossible in my opinion. And this turning dial system it forces you to use only dialed bases (so you can't use rookie bases or DDB bases wich are good for strenght).
you don't have to turn the dails every play...you can use your line to do other things by moving them around. For example, if your team is a 'wedge blocking' (left side blocks toward the right and the right side blocks towards the left and the center is going straight) you can just put the left side on the right and right side on the left...your blocking is now different where now the O-line is blocking to the outside...this will create running lanes inside...you can still use the DDB or Rookies - you just need to know which way they run.

the last solution I see is...simply to not allow any pivot or angle to the linemen.

In one word, I don't know what should be the best.

secondary, the spacing : the 3 yards lenght is good to avoid stacking...it's what I readed in some rulesets.

But sometimes, it should be great to be more compact (for example, to open holes for runners). Instinctively, sometimes we should make more compact placings and strategies. But since our ruleset doesn't allow it...we can't do it for now.

My goal is to make the game playable, but also quite realistic and "good looking". Of course, our ruleset is not burned in stone. Any help is welcome

Dimitri
see note above........
Old 11-17-2009, 11:22 AM
MFCA MEMBER

first , thank you for your answer

Now...next questions

Quote:

this should be the normal case for the size field

Is that a rule almost "always used", "often used", or "sometimes used" ? When I look some pics or vids, like this one :

http://www.miniaturefootball.com/for...ad.php?t=14926

I see the line is quite compact, less than a base width spacing...

ANother question : do you use this one base width spacing only for the linemen, or for ALL the players on the field ?

other question :

Quote:
most of the time it is a base lenth between the O-line and the QB... same doe Defense to be a base lenth from the back of the D-line
Ok, so I guess my 3 yards lenght is an average solution. BUT do you use that 1base lenght only for the distance between the O line and direct athletes behind them, or for ALL the players on the field ?

thank you a lot for the help,

Dimitri
Old 11-17-2009, 11:57 AM
MFCA MEMBER

you would use the 1base lenth all over the field and it is a standard.

the base width between players is not universal in it's application, but that is the intent....
Old 11-17-2009, 12:06 PM
MFCA MEMBER

OK, thanks for the help. I believe I will not allow linemen pivots anymore and do as you explained

Dimitri
Old 11-22-2009, 06:37 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Establish a neutral zone

Hey French Guy, establish a nuetral zone by spacing the offensive line and the defensive line 1 yard away from the line of scrimmage. Angle your lineman with a stick. This creates space for manuevering. I like to play this way because yu can get quick double team blocks that can open holes quickly! I also like the defense to sometimes see various blocking angles making them think I am trying to form a crease in a particular hole, and then run the opposite way.