Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Special passing plays (passing sim), need ideas

Hi,

I'm still thinking and experimenting things for my french ruleset.

As you know I'm using the passing stick (inspired by buzzball rules) simulation system, with scale (according to my 42" board) sticks.

That system works great and is quite realistic for most of the passing plays. It allows adjustements like in stoppages systems, but keeping the game fast and easy to follow.

But I still think that the pass type you can see on the picture below (don't know the name in english, the goal is to put the CB on a false route and turn back to catch the pass) the passing simulation system has some weakness...

If you use the passing sticks, you know that more far the WR is, the longer stick you'll use (making the pass more difficult to complete). But on the particular type of passing I describe on the picture, it's not satisfying.

Because when you stop the board and measure the distance from QB helmet to WR helmet, you take the distance from QB to the position where the WR will turn (representing the moment you turn off the board, make pivots and angle the sticks). But if you go down the field, actually you'll simulate the fact the WR will try to catch a pass significantly shorter.

in fact, with the passing sticks, that type of passing system fakes the CB...and the QB also !

You measure the big distance when you switch off the board, then, place the ball marker...and go for a shorter distance pass than the one the stick measurements means. I don't know if what I'm saying is clear, it's 1am and I'm tired

So I posted that topic to see how you do yourself or if you have any ideas about that. Keep it simple, no dices, ttqb or whatever

thanks !
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I know exactly what you are saying Dimitri. Your route there is essentially a hook.

I don't mid the buzzball system for this pass actually and the reason is a hook is designed to run as a short pass. If you were to run that pattern say 30-40 yards downfield there is a very good chance that the safety would jump the route for an interception. Or a zone LB would just step back to make a play on it.

That route is best designed for a 6 yard pattern where the receiver will be tackled almost immediately. But it is generally a very safe pattern as it's a tough pass to intercept if placed properly.

It's not a perfect system but for that pattern it does make sense because of it's difficulty to complete that route in real life.

Just my thoughts anyways.

Check out my Flames and Stampeders blogs at www.prosportsblogging.com
Old 11-15-2010, 09:40 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Totally agreee with you Hoop

what i suggest you is to go to a large slant pass (TE or WR but specially a tight end) who made a 45 degree direction inside (to the center) about 5-8 yards to make the catch

Just my 2 cents

P.S: Attn Shane: did you take some time to watch my rules of my custom hockey game and you thoughts about it.

Benster
Old 11-16-2010, 04:48 AM
MFCA MEMBER

thanks for the answer, but the question was more about the technical aspect, the mechanics, how to improve the passing stick technic for these "hook" reverse passes

For now I believe I should make 2 new sticks, replacing the white and blue ones for "reverse passing", slightly shorters than the normals sticks.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:21 AM
MFCA MEMBER

called a come back pass.... there were some rules about it's use...

basicly you cna add it to your rules by cutting the "head to head" in half and use a shot stick for this function.

... I remember not being avle to advance a comeback pass
Old 11-16-2010, 01:33 PM
MFCA MEMBER

thanks !

Yes I believe I need new specific sticks. To make the move interesting, I'll allow pivots for WR (and obviously the defense, of course).

The idea is to allow complex passing systems without adding a stoppage in my system.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:53 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Pass sim technique

Hey Demitri, you have a good idea. I would suggest though, only allowing a pass such as in your picture only be allowed to take place within 12 or less yards of the line of scrimmage. The reason is that in real football this type of pass rarely occurs. What I mean is that this is like a hitch or button hook type of pass that usually takes place fairly close to the line of scrimmage. It might happen occasionaly when a QB scrambles out of trouble and a receiver has come back for the ball. The shorter reverse stick would be more realistic at a shorter pass length from the line of scrimmage. I use a hitch pass with the sticks, but it must occur with the receiver within 15 yards of the LOS. If my receiver and base is within 15 yards of the LOS I use the red stick (shortest stick) for the pass attempt. This is a good way to play because you can throw receiver screens at the LOS if the defense plays back off of the receiver. Note though that a hitch or button hook pass is very dangerous way to play.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:01 AM
MFCA MEMBER

thanks for the advices

Concerning the range of that type of passing, I'm pretty sure I see abou the same in real football games, on short but medium range also. The goal was (I believe ! ) to bring the CB outside (running the sideline) and then, "hook" him inside, in a way like a running back or kick returner (fast direction changing), to catch the pass. Even if, as far as I remember, a fast tackle was always the final result of these moves, it was a good way to escape a too sticky CB.

On passing simulation, since the defense not engaged man can try to intercept (hitting the ball marker), the move I described utility is obvious : putting the CB behind the receiver so he can't intercept the pass without making a fault (since the WR will be placed between the ball marker and the CB).

Do you see what I mean ?

Last edited by the french guy : 11-18-2010 at 05:03 AM.