Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2010, 10:57 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Post Throwing the coaches red flag???

......has anyone(solitaire or league play)incorporated the throwing of the red flag or a coaches challenge into their gameplay(challenging a ruling(from whatever system...the shaking of the box??)or result of a play done on the field)
......I want to add this into my universal football league but was wondering if someone else has done this and how they do it (maybe call a challenge,do a roll of the dice,an even number(or percentage)and a play could be overturned and the coach can challenge again,or an odd number and the play stands and team loses a time out?)
......just curious,any info/ideas would be appreciated!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:49 AM
MFCA MEMBER

in the LAEFL we allow coaches challenges one per half on the box..

say your running back runs for 5 yards.... the defense shakes the box and he fumbles and the defense recovers.... the offensive coach then has 10 seconds to decide to accept the fumble or "throw his red flag" and challenge the ruling.

the box is the re-shook and a six sided dice is read to determine who has the ball... odd offense even defense.

if you win the challenge just like real football you keep the ball, keep ypur time out. if you lose you lose your time out and the ball...and you also lose the chance to gain an extra challenge.

if you win both your challenges you get and extra one just like the NFL does
Old 11-29-2010, 04:16 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Just something off of the top of my head but I would make it so it would be tougher to win a challenge so you don't get tied up with them.

Maybe something along the lines of rolling a 10 sided die and the call is overturned on a 9 or 10? Make it tough to do so it's only done on critical plays.

I suppose finding out what the actual percentage of calls that are overturned are in the NFL would help determine the success rate.

Check out my Flames and Stampeders blogs at www.prosportsblogging.com
Old 11-29-2010, 04:25 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I've thought about something like this for when I have to make close calls on passes, marking the ball for first downs, etc. Probably rolling a 6-side dice, since I've already got that out for solitaire games for other issues, and making the challenging team right on like a roll of 5 or 6. Haven't decided to put it in yet, though.

Ed
Old 11-29-2010, 05:48 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default This is a very interesting area

You know, I like Pirate Rick's thoughts but I've never thought about the challenge rule in solitaire because I never thought that I would be arguing a call for a team either way. But it does peak my interest???

If I would do something like that, it would probably be on fumbles but the infrequency of fumbles makes it difficult for me to want to take the chance of taking the ball out of a teams hand after a 1-1 or 2-2 occurred.

It's a tough one!!!

Reg
Old 11-29-2010, 06:05 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Here is what I had to do in the last game I played.

I threw a pass but was not sure it hit the man or miss the man. It was very close and I could not make a call 100% so I rowed the dice and let the dice decide the outcome. This is in Solatire.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:29 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Smile why not?

Really like the idea about rlooing the dices to challenge a fumble or an interception. Can't imagine other things however.

Benster from north of the border
Old 11-29-2010, 10:55 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rookie View Post
Here is what I had to do in the last game I played.

I threw a pass but was not sure it hit the man or miss the man. It was very close and I could not make a call 100% so I rowed the dice and let the dice decide the outcome. This is in Solatire.
I've had a couple instances where I've thrown a pass and first instinct was, it was complete, and move on, but then there is some doubt after that. I'd use the challenge rule in such instances, probably give each team 2 challenges, with removal of a time out as the penalty for being wrong.

Ed
Old 12-01-2010, 07:07 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Challenges

I had a play today on the goal line. I had a play where the runner appeared to score but with players all around them I could not tell if he was in or not. When I cleared away the players the runner was barely in so I ruled it a TD. I could not determine if he really got in before contact or maybe he , the defender and the goal line all met at once so I called a challenge. A simple roll of the dice did it. Evens play stood. Odds play overturned. An even number came up and the call stood. In solitaire play you really have to be fair for both sides and the challenge rule is really good to determine outcomes of big plays when you are not 100% sure.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:34 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Post Thanks for the input.....

....I'll definately be adding one type of red flagging into my play.