Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 10:56 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default TWEAKING Enemy or Savior?

Yes....... this subject started on another thread ............so in an attempt to stop the hijacking of that thread I have started this one.

I understand the frustration of having to #1. purchase or #2. fight through the learning curve of tweaking your own bases. Both have a cost.

#1. Purchase = Money
#2. Tweaking = Time

My point is you here statements like "Tweaked bases are ruining the hobby" To that I say what? TWEAKED BASES are why we can play at the level we do! Imagine trying to show new people our hobby today WITHOUT tweaked bases!!!!!!!!!!!

I for one see tweaking as the savior of the hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As to sharing tweaking information I am an open book.......there are coaches out there that I have spent countless hours with on the phone "sharing" in detail what I do.

Many of us want to share but as hard as it is to tweak it is every bit as hard to write it down in detail what we do.

Just as in the Painting/customizing info shared it is basic as well. I mean you cant read a basic sculpting guide and then put out a masterpiece....the first one is so so the tenth one is better and so on and so forth.

Take the basics that are out there and go ruin some bases!!!!!!!!!! and before long you will be tweaking up a storm. Yes all of us that tweak have RUINED a TON of bases.
Geno H
Proud MFCA member #22
Visit G-FORCE @ www.gforcetdq.com
Old 02-22-2011, 11:03 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Thumbs up I hear ya!

I recently decided to give a shot at tweaking bases. The first ones were terrible. I still mess up most of what I'm doing, but I'm starting to get the hang of why things are working or not working. I wouldn't want to play this game if it weren't for tweaked bases. It's how you condition and coach your team!!

I thought I would hate it, but now I like it

The coach formerly known as "rollertaco"...
Old 02-22-2011, 11:06 AM
MFCA MEMBER

no doubt it will frustrate some new people who just got into the hobby and it is possible they will quit, but tweaking is a must if you like good game play and you want to break that old stereotype that all the men do is "turn in circles."

Mark
Old 02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Definite savior

If it wasnt for base tweaking, i honestly do not believe this game would have kept my interest.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:10 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default enemy and savior

savior for us cause we can take these figures to different levels and tailor the team to our liking with speed/strength at positions we want.
AND ITS FUN TO SEE YOUR MAN LIGHTNINGING DOWN THE FIELD (howyalikethatword?) ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU TWEAKED THE BASE

I just wish there were a way to have bases that run straight, bout 30-50 yards, right out the box and on the field. Newbies (mainly kids seeing the game for the first time) dont care about strength yet. They like the speed, but as long as everyone runs straight, they are happy.

If we could have bases like these for the beginner, the hobby would have a following for the days after us. Then, as they become more interested, they can pick the University of their choice and major in any of the intricate aspects of our hobby. But for now, FOR THEM, we need elementary school type bases that they can use and perfect in their middle school and High school Miniature Football education.
As it now, we have a lotta school drop outs who wont get a chance to do something in life (Miniature Football life ofcourse ).

BUT US, WITH OUR HOBBY MASTERS AND PHD'S, sure, we will continue to have fun and do our best to teach others.

But what happens when we are gone?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:17 AM
MFCA MEMBER

[quote=HOOP;138836]

I just wish there were a way to have bases that run straight, bout 30-50 yards, right out the box and on the field. Newbies (mainly kids seeing the game for the first time) dont care about strength yet. They like the speed, but as long as everyone runs straight, they are happy.

QUOTE]

There is a way .........It only takes MONEY. I will gaurntee you it is possible!!!!

Money is the only thing holding me back.

Geno H
Proud MFCA member #22
Old 02-22-2011, 11:23 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default It has helped

Geno I want to hear your thoughts on 3 fords going 1,2,3 in the big race, and a 20yr old winning it! Wow....Sorry to hijack the post that hijacked another post! Start something in the non MF

Having played in the non tweaked era (BT) Before Tweaking and seeing the effects of tweaking. It really balanced the playing field. What also helps is that the new plastic and newer bases could actually compete with the more older and rare stuff of years past. So together it has helped the hobby.

It is still discouraging when you play a coach that has superior strength over you and uses it...over, and over, over again. Then they throw out some huge dollar amount for the bases or some similar.

How can you buy a pack of bases for $8 then turn around and charge $8-$20 per base after tweaking them? How can you put a price on another mans time?
I always tell guys to try it yourself. Maybe buy one from the pros as a tester, and then go against it.
Plan your own combine parties....No games, just a couple of boards and bring your tools with you. Order some food, turn on the boom box and tweak. You never know what tips you may come across. It's like working out, it's always better with some friends.

And remember, Tweaking is only 1 part of the process. You can have a monster base, but you have to have it on the right figure to maximize it's potential. Then you need the right board, running at the right speed. And finally you have to know how to coach what you have.
So there are at least 4 parts that go into having a winning experience.

But to answer Geno's question: It's both!!!!

Nat'l
Old 02-22-2011, 11:55 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default My Tweak Outlook

Unlike any other aspect of the hobby, base tweaking is essential. Let’s face it. Hobbyists don’t have to paint, sculpt, detail figures, make videos or build stadiums to play this hobby. Hobbyists must tweak their bases or have someone tweak for them to play. “Untweaked” bases could result in erratic team performance. Having said that, base tweaking is the foundation of the hobby.

Although I have never ruined bags of bases, like some guys talk about; I have ruined some. If I had to say an exact number, I would say I ruined about twelve bases. I have learned from those mistakes. I learned to not be so bold in handling the base for the first time. Start small as you begin to tweak. I am in the middle of working on my next video. I will try to make a video depicting my approach to tweaking.

Maurice
The Electric Coach
Old 02-22-2011, 12:07 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATIONAL View Post
Geno I want to hear your thoughts on 3 fords going 1,2,3 in the big race, and a 20yr old winning it! Wow....Sorry to hijack the post that hijacked another post! Start something in the non MF

Having played in the non tweaked era (BT) Before Tweaking and seeing the effects of tweaking. It really balanced the playing field. What also helps is that the new plastic and newer bases could actually compete with the more older and rare stuff of years past. So together it has helped the hobby.

It is still discouraging when you play a coach that has superior strength over you and uses it...over, and over, over again. Then they throw out some huge dollar amount for the bases or some similar.

How can you buy a pack of bases for $8 then turn around and charge $8-$20 per base after tweaking them? How can you put a price on another mans time?
I always tell guys to try it yourself. Maybe buy one from the pros as a tester, and then go against it.
Plan your own combine parties....No games, just a couple of boards and bring your tools with you. Order some food, turn on the boom box and tweak. You never know what tips you may come across. It's like working out, it's always better with some friends.

And remember, Tweaking is only 1 part of the process. You can have a monster base, but you have to have it on the right figure to maximize it's potential. Then you need the right board, running at the right speed. And finally you have to know how to coach what you have.
So there are at least 4 parts that go into having a winning experience.

But to answer Geno's question: It's both!!!!

Nat'l
Think of it this way Corey.....if we bought bags of 12 tweaked bases for $12right from the Manufacturer at retail. Stay with me now.....out of that 12
there were 2 that were BEASTS fast and strong. So you the National one start thinking if I buy 20 bags of bases I will have a roster of 40 BEASTS. Get my point???? That race will always be there.

Geno H
Proud MFCA member #22
Old 02-22-2011, 12:20 PM
MFCA MEMBER

To me there's 2 kinds of tweaking. There's basic tweaking, where you basically do what you can to get a base to move where you want it to. And then there's competition tweaking, which is mostly about all out power and speed. From the remark that 'tweaking is ruining the hobby' I would venture to guess that a person who would say such a thing is probably stuck in an arms race with their fellow league mates and isn't winning very often. It would be very easy to say enough is enough and want to leave.

It's sort of like drag racing. Not everyone has what it takes to keep up with the top fuel alkie dragsters out there. But there is just as much fun in street stock racing. Sure, you may not be burning 10 second quarter miles, but dialing in at 15.07 and hitting it on the head 4 times in a row has it's own rewards.

So it is with tweaking. Everyone should learn how to do the basic pinch and pulls needed to be able to straighten out a base that is turning small circles. They can have just as much fun playing against others that also do basic tweaks. It's trying to keep up with the Jones' out there that can be frustrating.