Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Coach

Default VOICE TO VOICE communicating offered now by the MFCA

After talking to Weirdwolf, I set up a Ventrilo program for the MFCA. What is Ventrilo? It is person-person voice communicating. It is free to download the program, although the server is a small fee for MFCA. Why do we need Ventrilo? Think of it, the chat at the bottom of the page is seldom used, however, this is face-to-face, if you will, (atleast voice-to-voice). Get on here and get live tips rather than through emails or pms. Think of being able to get in your league's private channel and discuss rules, or meeting times, or just plain old trash talk your next opponent. That's one of the best things, you can talk to ALL league members at once, not 1 at a time on the phone! I think this is a great tool we need to take advantage of, and once you try it, you'll love it. It will take some work on my part to get people set up, but I am willing to do it. I have added some sample channels so you can see some of the possibilities. All you need is a microphone and headset or speakers. You can get a cheap headset with mic at Wal-Mart for about $15.

Go to one of the two links below and download the client version and install it.
Windows download: http://www.ventrilo.com/dlprod.php?id=1
Mac download: http://www.ventrilo.com/dlprod.php?id=2

Once it's installed, start it up. Click on the arrow to the right of "User name", then click "new", type in your username, then click "OK" then "OK" again.

To the right of "Server", click on the right arrow and click "New", type in "MFCA". Where it says "Hostname or IP", type in TX3.LeetVent.com , then where it says "Port" type in 4002, then click "OK".

Now all you have to do is click "Connect" and you should be in. By default, you will probably be set to use a "Push-to-talk" key. For the time being, click on "Setup" over on the right. Then click the "Voice" tab at the top, and look at the second line from the top on the left which should be the push-to-talk line, make sure it is unchecked and click ok.

If you have any questions, just hollar.

Last edited by Tomkat : 11-04-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:14 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Tomkat will be the point person for anyone who might have questions regarding how to use this program. I just setup mine and it took less than 5 minutes on a satellite connection thanks to Tomcat's instructions in the above post.

The MFCA thought that this could be a valuable tool for it s members to work with rookie coaches as well as save the admin some phone call bills. It will also come in handy for MFCA committees and individual league meetings.

I know that most of us will need some time to get use to this new technology, myself included, but this is a standard program that has been used by on-line gamers for some time. So step up to the 21st century and give this a try.

I am not sure that dial-up users will be able to use this...Tomkat, do you know?

—Idiom
3. One Bad Em-F-er, negative shout out; pertaining to weirdwolf: There goes one bad EM-F-er. I mean he can’t play and ain’t never win nothin’!

Old 11-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Coach

Default .

Dial-up in 2008? Lol. I can't say they won't be able to use it, but they will lag.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Coach

Default .

Come on people, get on here!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:19 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I already have mic and headsets for use on Skype (podcast recording, as well).

I'll download the software if people are going to be using it.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Coach

Default .

I think it will be the best tool this organization has. I know that once people get on, they won't want to get off.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:23 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Tomkat and I got on last night. This will be a usefull tool for a number of coaches. If you have a microphone and speakers just download the ventrilo. For the MFCA, I can see the execs and committees having online meetings. It should save some phone minutes or phone dollars. For leagues, we can set up password resticted league areas where you can go over league rules etc in a group conversation. We set up a few just to show what can be done.

I would encourage coaches to give it a try. You may find many uses for it that I did not mention here!

—Idiom
3. One Bad Em-F-er, negative shout out; pertaining to weirdwolf: There goes one bad EM-F-er. I mean he can’t play and ain’t never win nothin’!

Old 11-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Coach

Default .

Yea, I think the Bluegrass EFL will be using ours soon.